sodium bisulfate, ....??
camlynn
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18 X 32 inground pool with auto cover, sand filter

Oily film on water

Postby camlynn » Tue 18 Oct, 2022 14:00

Hello,

I am having a problem with my pool. Around end of summer, I started noticing a slight oily film on the water. It wasn't extreme, but present. I finally realized that when I would leave my auto cover open for a long time period, the oil film wouldn't be there. When I would close or open my cover, I would start to see the oily film start to spread again over the surface of the water. I've had my water tested and it's good. It is sparkling so no issues with chemistry. The pool store says that I might have organic material on my cover so that when I roll it up, it spreads onto both the underside and the outside, spreading into the water. They said to use an enzyme product and let it sit with the cover closed and then roll it up. Let it sit for a bit and then rinse it off. My question is: has anyone else experienced this? I remember reading another person on this forum with the same problem, but wondered how it ended up. Also, which enzyme product might be good? I know some are clarifiers and we have tried that and the clarifier didn't resolve the problem. So is the enzyme product better than that? Thank you for your help!

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Oily film on water

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 19 Oct, 2022 10:21

When pool shops run out of ideas they suggest enzymes the problem is enzymes are killed really quickly by chlorine so you'll have to make sure chlorine is 0 which then leaves you open to other issues like algae growing unchecked. Some people have a bit of success with the Water lily's from toucan products
https://www.toucan-fr.com/products/water-lily/
Chlorine has a tough time breaking down oils and they can come from environmental sources or body oils/sweat and of course sun creams/oils.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”