Liner is hosed, need advice

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
theeaterofshades
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18' above ground

Liner is hosed, need advice

Postby theeaterofshades » Fri 12 Apr, 2019 12:36

Hi,

We bought our house in Kaukauna, WI 2.5 years ago and it has an 18 ft round above ground pool that the prior owners installed in 2013. This spring we noticed a ton of water in the lawn by the pool as the ice inside melted. After it melted enough to see the bottom, we found that the liner was ripped (at least 1.5 feet in length)at the bottom of the wall (where it transitions to the bottom of the pool)on the West side of the pool. We have the purchase documentation from the prior owners and it looks like the warranty only covers for the original purchaser. We also have the wall bungied in outward directions to help support the walls until we get a new liner. I do have a few questions:

1) the existing liner is a v-bead, so I am planning on staying with a v-bead/J-Hook/Unibead liner. Good idea?

2) what mil liner is best for areas that freeze during winter months? (20, 25, or 30)

3) there is a cove. Do I need to replace with the new liner?

4) What else can I do to help prevent this from happening again?

5) and finally, is a replacement of the liner the only option or is there a way to effectively patch it?

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Liner is hosed, need advice

Postby Teapot » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 06:06

1. Yep stay with the same v-bead.
2. thicker the better, traditionally above ground pools always have thinner liners than inground which is stupid.
3. If existing cover is ok then keep it.
4. A big tear like that is always bad and only putting off the inevitable. I repaired a tear for a customer that happened because of a sharp/broken edge of their pool net. It helped them that season and lasted the following, they called me for a replacement to be fitted this spring.
theeaterofshades
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18' above ground

Re: Liner is hosed, need advice

Postby theeaterofshades » Sat 22 Jun, 2019 19:58

So I have the new liner. It is finally warm enough to install it. 2 questions:

1) there is existing cove from when installed. Do I need to replace it as part of the new liner install?

2) there looks to be just a sand bottom under liner. Will a pad make much difference/improvement?

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”