newly installed above ground pool divot

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
airen215
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15x30 above ground

newly installed above ground pool divot

Postby airen215 » Thu 02 Jun, 2022 01:35

we just had our pool installed last week and there’s a football sized divot with raised ridges on one side within the divot. The pool is a 15x30 with sand under the liner. definitely worrying about this since I almost tripped while passing by at one point. What could have caused this and how does one go about fixing it?

Also - second question. In another part of the pool, there’s a decent sized rock (maybe 2-3 inches wide) I can feel when walking. I really don’t want to already have to worry about tearing the liner but this really worries me.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: newly installed above ground pool divot

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 02 Jun, 2022 08:08

Yes you should be worried.
There is another thread with a recent post on how to fit a liner with a foolproof technique.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
airen215
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15x30 above ground

Postby airen215 » Thu 02 Jun, 2022 09:45

We had it installed professionally and this still happened. Of course with it being pool season, can’t get hold of our installer anymore. What can happen in the long run in the event we can’t get him to stop by soon
DJHPools
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby DJHPools » Thu 02 Jun, 2022 12:20

Oval pools are tough to do properly because of the ribcage structure under the liner, every crack and crevice must be packed in well before the liner goes in. I could never get satisfactory results with just sand, even though that is what the instructions specify. I relied on using a layer of 3/4 minus (crushed rock) to fill over over dug areas and then I would lay down 4x8 sheets of 3/4 inch foam sheathing ( like the kind from Lowes they sell for the outside walls of houses). Then use foam cove for around the edge of the wall. The sand will look good for the first few days but over time it will sift into the brace area, and under the hold-down plates.
The pool CAN be drained and more sand put in, packed in all the voids by hand as tight as possible add some more sand for good measure and then troweled smooth. Skimmer and return can stay on while doing this, just do one side , then the other.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 02 Jun, 2022 17:34

The liners on above ground pools can be a bit thinner than the inground versions but not always. Liners are quite tough and flexible when new. Provided there arent sharp rocks you should be ok until you can get the installer back to repair.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”