Air from return

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
backyardfun
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x40 vinyl liner, steel wall, cartridge filter

Air from return

Postby backyardfun » Tue 22 May, 2012 21:39

My pool has 2 returns that are ran on separate lines that are split from a T right after the heater. When my pump is on high-speed, I get no air from my returns. But on low-speed, my one return blows ALOT of air but the other blows ZERO air. How is that possible? All air must come from suction side, right? How can only one of my returns blow air if they are plumbed separately and only on low-speed? I am baffled! Any suggestions? I am going to pressure test all the lines but this seams to be against the laws of physics (or at least to me!) Thanks!

ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Air from return

Postby ChuckGeo » Wed 23 May, 2012 06:22

Interesting problem, I have a couple of questions - is there air in the pump strainer pot when there is air at a return fitting in the pool?, is there an in-line chlorinator and if so what brand, do you have a salt system, what brand/model of pump do you have?
It is not unusual to get air at one return and not the other, it's dependant on the way the pool is plumbed.
Chuck
Owner, Superior Pool Services
25 years leak detection experience
backyardfun
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x40 vinyl liner, steel wall, cartridge filter

Air from return

Postby backyardfun » Wed 23 May, 2012 07:00

Not sure about the air in the pump basket, I will look when I get home in a few days. I have no chlorinator or salt-generator. I have a 2-speed Waterway pump with a cartridge filter and electric heat pump. I would understand the air out of one returm if they were plumbed in a series but these are on separate lines that are split about 4 feet from the heater. How does all the air choose to make a left at the T and not a right? If I had a hole in that return line, it would leak water, not suck air, correct?
ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Air from return

Postby ChuckGeo » Wed 23 May, 2012 14:32

Is the air coming out of the return fitting closest to the filter pad? That would be typical. You are correct in your assumption that the return line would leak water if it had a hole in it, it wouldn't pull in air. Air has to enter from the suction side of the system. Here's a thought, if you have a screw-on pump lid, it may be loose or the o-ring may need lubrication - on high speed the suction causes the lid to seal, but on low speed the suction isn't enough to seal the lid completely and it draws in air. Lubing the lid o-ring usually solves this problem.
Chuck

Owner, Superior Pool Services

25 years leak detection experience

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”