Pool leaking

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
BigJoe
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool leaking

Postby BigJoe » Thu 09 Apr, 2020 18:24

Hi, This is Joe from Debary Florida and I'm a newbie with a small problem. I have an in-ground swimming pool that looses about an inch of water a day. I moved into the house four years ago and am now getting around to the pool. It has been loosing water the whole time and the pump makes a god awful sound that disappears when I run the solar panels but reappears when I turn them off. I'm assuming it is sucking some air as it also has bubbles in the pump window. Sometimes tons of bubbles and sometimes almost none. I have done an extensive amount of work to the pool filter and the solar panels by replacing the entire pvc piping as well as the pump and valves. I removed the solar panels from the roof and built a rack for them by the pool. Today I dug out the top set of pipes that run from the pump underground to the underside of the cement. While shoveling this area out I got a ton of sandy colored water into my pump window but stopped when I stopped digging. I am reasonably sure my problem is in this area. My question is, how far down can I cut the main drain and not have the pool empty into my yard? I have cut all the pipes at the top of the lines running into the pump but there was water in the main drain line. Does the pool have to be emptied or can I just lower the water level. Thanks in advance for any ideas you can give me.
I would love to post some pics if I knew how. I will try!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool leaking

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 10 Apr, 2020 02:46

Work on the rule "Water seeks it's own level"
Best thing to do is plug the main drain with an expandable rubber plug
You could also do it with the returns to check the pool itself is okay then release one at a time to determine the leaking run

Click Full Editor & Preview
Click Attachments
Click Add Files or you can drag and drop
BigJoe
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby BigJoe » Fri 10 Apr, 2020 06:40

Denniswiseman wrote:Work on the rule "Water seeks it's own level"
Best thing to do is plug the main drain with an expandable rubber plug
You could also do it with the returns to check the pool itself is okay then release one at a time to determine the leaking run

Click Attachments

Thank you, Am I to understand I have to swim down to the bottom. take off the bottom strainer and plug the hole?
Sorry if I miss understood you.
Could you also tell me how to post pics?
Thanks, Joe
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 11 Apr, 2020 05:11

You won't be able to swim down and work without a weight belt to hold you down, dependant on the depth of the main drain location, or a friendly SCUBA diver

I've already told you how to post images
Click Attachments

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”