Can’t find my leak.

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Acesneights
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x32 inground. Sand filter. Floor drain, 1 skimmer, 2 returns, has a fiberglass stair case. Pool installed approx 1991, last liner installed approx 2015.

Can’t find my leak.

Postby Acesneights » Mon 13 Jul, 2020 08:27

Hello,
I have an inground pool. We bought the house last year and got the pool up and running but it loses over 400 gals a day. I chased the leak all last summer. Had a pool guy come in and listen on the pool with an underwater mike. Dye tested around the skimmer, drains, pool light , stairs. Nothing. Plugged all the lines. Nothing, still leaking. I finally gave up last fall and said let it leak out. Where ever the water stops is the leak. I dove down in the fall and removed the screen on the bottom drain, plugged the line and out a bucker with a clay seal over the entire drain. Still seemed to leak. The skimmer and skimmer line has been replaced. So over the winter the water lever dropped almost 3 ft then stopped. Didnt see anywhere it could be leaking but over the winter between rain and snow, filled itself back up to the point where I had to pump it down a few times and was holding water fine until this june. So I put the pool back online with just the skimmer and left my home made plug and cover on the bottom drain. Seemed ok so after a week I took the pail off the drain and removed the plug. It started losing water. I replugged it and put the pail back overit sealed with clay and 3 cement blocks for weight as I did last fall. Still losing water. Found a bad leak on the skimmer so had that replaced although the pool leaked well below the skimmer last fall so wasnt convinced that was it. So now I am wondering, I cant seem to find one but does anyone know of a screw on blockoff plate for the bottom drain ? I am thinking what happended last fall was my bucket idea did not completly sealed the leak but over the winter the leaves went in and sealed it . Only thing I can come up with. I wanna get rid of the bottom drain. I think it is the issue. Pool guy thinks its the light or staircase but when I dye tested, nothing and a leak that big should suck the dye in no ? The first pool guy out the microphone near both and heard nothing.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”