Baffled!

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Joroco
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Inground pool, 12m (l) x 3.5m (w) x 1.5m (D), sand filter, tiled surface

Baffled!

Postby Joroco » Wed 20 Jan, 2021 20:00

Hi, I live in the Philippines so there's no leak detection companies. I can't figure out where my pool is leaking"

Pool was leaking 1 1/2" - 2" per day until i added new epoxy putty to seal hole in tiles where wire for pool lights enters wall. Now Pool doesn't leak when water level at top of light fixture..just very minimal leaking occurs due to evaporation. But if I add a few more inches of water above lights the leaking occurs again and stops at top of lights. There are brackets that the lights are attached to which are screwed into the wall with 2 screws.

Could the leak be due to the screws in the wall? Doesn't make sense that leaking would stop and brackets are still under water unless the increased water pressure from filling pool increases the leaking?

The only other place that could be leaking are the cement stairs. As per attached pics there are 6 cement stairs....the first 3 have hairline cracks in them and water stops leaking when there's about an inch of water on the 3rd step. Could added water pressure lead to water leaking through hairline cracks?

The bottom drain has been sealed so no water could be leaking there and I have inspected all around the pool waterline and don't see any missing grout or cracks in the tile.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_6864.jpg
IMG_6864.jpg (36.63 KiB) Viewed 755 times
IMG_6863.jpg
IMG_6863.jpg (37.42 KiB) Viewed 755 times
IMG_6860.jpg
IMG_6860.jpg (50.94 KiB) Viewed 755 times

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Baffled!

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 21 Jan, 2021 03:22

Water seeks it's own level, so if it stops leaking at the top of the lights, that's where your problem is. If you can temporary seal off your lights that would prove it
Also for water to leak it has to go somewhere, so if your steps were cast in the shell, there's nowhere for it to go

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”