Pool leaks intermittently

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
clh7837
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36 in ground with liner

Pool leaks intermittently

Postby clh7837 » Wed 08 Dec, 2021 19:05

Have something weird going on with my pool. It appears that I have, what I would consider, a fairly significant leak on occasions. Back in the August I had to put a lot of water in my pool, approximately 1.5 inches per day. Thought I had a leak, but before someone came and checked it out, my level quit dropping. So I wrote it off as evaporation. Had no issues for several months. Then last week, my pool started dropping almost 2 inches per day. Have a guy coming to dive and take a look, but now for the past two days the level has not been dropping. Water level currently at the top of skimmer inlet and has not dropped in two days. Pump is and has been running. Does that make any kind of sense to anyone, can you have an intermittent leak? Pool is in ground vinyl liner pool 18x36, concrete surrounding. I know it is not the waste water line. I appreciate any thoughts!

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Pool leaks intermittently

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 09 Dec, 2021 02:44

Yes very possible, best way to check the liner is the Anderson leak trac, so find a company that uses that technology and not some idiot with a bit of dye.
What can hapen, a hole in a full pool closes when some water has leaked out. That does not mean the leak is at that level, it can be well below it. One pool I repaired the leak was a small hole 1/8"-3/16" on the wall floor corner but the leak would stop completely when 12"-16" of water had gone. The owner had 2 companies out before me and two large bills one was for a diver. My Anderson leak track found the hole in less than 15mins but had to fill the pool up to cause the leak as the liner had closed the hole just through shrinkage.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
clh7837
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36 in ground with liner

Postby clh7837 » Thu 09 Dec, 2021 10:26

Appreciate the response. Glad to hear there have been some examples of intermittent leaks, been in driving me crazy. Kind of weird, but it looks like mine doesn’t leak with a high water level (top of skimmer), but leaks more once I drop level to half way up skimmer. The guy I have coming out said he was going to “sound” the pool and then dive. That similar to what the Anderson tool does? Thanks!
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 10 Dec, 2021 05:04

No idea re sound the pool, I used to just get on with it haha, the leak trac puts a small electric current into the pool and it reports the leak as an audible tone, maybe that's what they mean. Please let us know how you get on but to save your money I would check it is the Anderson leak trac.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
fred22
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 12 x 6 meters outdoor

Postby fred22 » Tue 19 Apr, 2022 13:17

What was the outcome here? I have a pool that leaks at different rates and even settles at different levels. So the idea that the leak is where the water level stops is somewhat simplistic.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”