Leak in Spa Jet Pipes

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
caseembry
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 36x17 gunite pool with spa and overflow

Leak in Spa Jet Pipes

Postby caseembry » Wed 09 Mar, 2022 15:05

We have been trying to locate a leak in the spa for some time. We had a leak detection company test for leaks throughout the pool and spa, and they advised that the spa jets and return lines were okay. They later said that they did a pressure test, but the invoice only shows that electronic leak detection was used - nothing about pressure test. We later found some cracks in the structure of the spa. We hired a new pool builder to look it over and discuss repairing the spa. The plan was to sandblast and re-plaster, but he wanted to do the pressure test of pipes first just to make sure there were no leaks in the pipes. When the pressure test of the jet pipe was done, the pressure dropped. He also sprayed soapy water around the jet fitting when the jets were plugged, and bubbles appeared around several jets. Water also appeared to come from under the jet fitting during the pressure test. His conclusion was that we have leaks in several of the jet pipes, which are buried in the concrete shell of the spa (it's a gunite pool and spa, with the spa connected to the pool). Specifically, he said that there are pipes reducing down in each fitting.

I am trying to find another leak detection company to come pinpoint the site of the leak. My question is whether there is any chance the pressure test could have been flawed, especially since the initial leak detection company says that the jet pipes were okay.

One additional fact - We previously had the visible cracks in spa structure sealed, and the water loss seemed to stop for some time afterwards, including when the spa returns/jets were open. However, when we actually used the spa (with hot water), the water started to drop again.

caseembry
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Leak in Spa Jet Pipes

Postby caseembry » Wed 09 Mar, 2022 16:05

** One additional thing - we have air vents on the top of the spa that allows air in for the spa jets to bubble. Those were NOT plugged when the pressure test was done. Maybe this could be a way air was escaping?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 10 Mar, 2022 02:08

Then they did not carry out a pressure test, they may have played about for a while but all bluster no test!
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
caseembry
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby caseembry » Thu 10 Mar, 2022 10:21

Thank you - we're going to have the test done again by a professional leak detection company. It still worries me that there were bubbles around the jet assemblies when sprayed with soapy water. Fingers crossed the correct test does not show any leaks.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 10 Mar, 2022 18:33

Let us know how you get on, hoping you solve it this time
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”