Help me solve water getting behind liner in pool remodel

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
arkansas1129
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20 year old 18 x 40 x16 vinyl liner, galvanized steel side walls with concrete bottom. Salt generator,Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump,

Help me solve water getting behind liner in pool remodel

Postby arkansas1129 » Sun 10 Apr, 2022 15:35

20 year old 18 x 40 x16 vinyl liner, galvanized steel side walls with concrete bottom.

This is the 4th new vinyl liner we have had installed for this pool. The concrete coping edge was cut off flush with the wall of the pool in order to install new composite decking coping. (We installed the new composite decking on top of the existing concrete pool deck). To construct new coping 2 x 6 composite decking joist were installed flush into the existing concrete pool deck. This was done in order to replace the old concrete coping( that was saw cut off) so that the new composite coping could be screwed into the composite joists and square up the edge of the pool.
Currently water is getting between our new vinyl liner and the galvanized side walls. We are not sure how it is getting there. We know we have groundwater issues and are putting in a new french drain system to alleviate water leaching into the side walls from underneath the old concrete pool deck. However, we are wondering if water could be getting behind the liner track because of installation of the composite coping. We suspect water is leaking through the coping and getting behind the track of the pool liner. Do we need to cover the composite joist area with a waterproof membrane (such as a roofing ice and water shield) before installing the surface coping made from composite decking? We have water tested the new coping and determined that water is coming from the old concrete coping area going down the surface of the liner but cannot determine if it is going behind the liner track? Has anyone experienced water getting behind the liner from leaking behind the liner track?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Help me solve water getting behind liner in pool remodel

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 11 Apr, 2022 01:30

What type of liner fit have you got, a traditional J type with liner bead to keep it in place?
If so I doubt its from you new decking.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”