Leaks between seams of fiberglass wall panels

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Justxbrian
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Justxbrian » Tue 16 Jun, 2009 20:32

I just bought a house in New York in December with a pool that is over 30 years old. The pool has a concrete bottom and fiberglass walls. It's a big pool- close to 50x 25. There is a crack about 1/4 inch wide near the top of one of the seams. Water was leaking fairly quickly until the level fell below the visible crack. I am still losing water at a rate of about an inch a day. There are several seams where the caulking is missing or peeling away.

What product can I use to redo the caulking? I am looking for a fix that will get me through this summer and next summer. I realize the pool is at its end and will do something major, but am looking to put that off until 2011.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Postby Guest » Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:09

I'd recommend using a product called Vulkem 116 to caulk your wall joints. It is a urethane caulk made by Mameco International, Cleveland, OH. 800-321-4400. It has excellent adhesion, is flexible, is durable underwater, however, it must be applied to a dry surface and allowed to cure for approx. 1 week. This is the best thing we've found for all types of cracks in swimming pools.
Justxbrian
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Justxbrian » Wed 17 Jun, 2009 15:41

Thanks, Pooluser. Will the Vulkem get me through 2 summers? Also, is it safe for the swimmers?

A friend of mine who has a boat suggested using 3M's 5200 caulk- I don't know much about it, but I think the cure time is shorter. It's said to be VERY messy and sticks to everything. Any thoughts on that? I have the same concerns there with durability and safety.

Would greatly appreciate any followup thoughts.
ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby ChuckGeo » Wed 17 Jun, 2009 16:09

Hi, it's Pooluser. The Vulkem caulking should easily last 2 years. The secret is in the prep - joints should be real clean and dry. Apply enough caulk to fill the joint and overlap 1/4", or so, on both sides. After you apply the caulk you can smooth it, gently, with a finger dipped in soapy water - dish detergent and water works fine. Cure time is 5 to 7 days, depending on the temperature.
I don't recommend using any type of silicone caulking - it doesn't hold up.

Good luck
Chuck
Owner, Superior Pool Services
25 years leak detection experience
Cards Fan999

Re: Leaks between seams of fiberglass wall panels

Postby Cards Fan999 » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 21:59

Hello,
I just ran across this old thread, and I have one of the hybrid pools built by Doug Fender in St Louis. He is owner of Indian Summer Pools and is very knowledged in these things. If anyone has questons on this, repost.
Chart
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Indoor. concrete floor fiberglass walls. 30x15

Re: Leaks between seams of fiberglass wall panels

Postby Chart » Fri 19 Mar, 2021 10:12

HI, I have the same issue on my indoor pool. water level leaked down to about a foot below the tiles then stopped. So I'm guessing it's the caulk in the seams between the wall panels. Do you guys still think the Vulkem 116 is the best product to use for a long lasting fix? And do you have any further tips on how to go about the repair.

thank you

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”