can a gunite pool be fiberglassed

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
janice

can a gunite pool be fiberglassed

Postby janice » Tue 16 Sep, 2008 20:05

I have a gunite pool that has a crack. We live in an area with clay soil. I have heard that you can hand put on fiberglass over a gunite pool. Is this true, and any thoughts.

micahharwell
I'm new here
I'm new here

Fiberglass over gunite

Postby micahharwell » Sun 11 Jan, 2009 13:08

Yes, fiberglass can be used as a pool finish on a gunite pool.

But, this will only be a temporary fix because a crack in the gunite is a structural problem that can only be fixed by repairing the gunite.

Gunite is usually anywhere from 8" to 12" thick and reinforced with rebar. If there was enough soil pressure to cause it to crack, a 1/4" of fiberglass or plaster will fail.
lonestar
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Fiberglass over gunite

Postby lonestar » Thu 29 Jan, 2009 11:27

A pool guy mentor whose been involved in building, repairing and maintaining pools for most of his life told me of this subject:

When you put fiberglass over gunite you will always have problems because the fiberglass and gunite contract and expand at different rates and at different temperatures. So at first the bond is very strong but after a few winter/summers there will be parts of the pool where the fiberglass is becoming unconnected. This eventually leads to a hole and once water is behind it the fiberglass will start to come off in large chunks.

-alan

Can a gunite pool be fiberglassed

Postby Guest » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 13:28

Would this hold true for a thin fiberglass layer over a concrete shell and with tiles on top of the fiberglass.

In other words, the fiberglass is sandwiched between the concrete shell and the tiles. The fiberglass layer is thin at only 2 mats. A friend made a pool like this and supposedly researched it beforehand, but was only able to supply anecdotal references.

Thanks

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”