Pump tripping breaker!

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
BillZ

Pump tripping breaker!

Postby BillZ » Mon 16 May, 2011 06:05

Need help with a problem. I had my pool pump reconditioned over the winter..... went to fire things up over the weekend, and when I turn on power, the breaker instantly trips. Pump does not hum or run at all.. I hear a click at the timer where all wiring connects, but nothing else. Here's the wierd thing. My auxiliary pump...for automatic cleaner runs fine, and , when I disconnect the main pump, and turn on power, no breaker trip, and when I test with meter, power reads fine.....the trip only comes when the pump is connected. I pulled pump and had it checked.... pool service says pump runs fine on their bench... Any Ideas?

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Pump tripping breaker!

Postby czechmate » Tue 17 May, 2011 12:10

Have the wiring on both timers checked by electrician.
It may be miswired where phases get together. That is an instant trip.
Overload or blocked impeller takes a few seconds.
Pool sweep pump shoud not run without the main pump running. Of course, if you remove the pump motor and branch circuit to the motor is energized, your booster pump will run and also may get damaged for lack of priming.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Pump tripping breaker!

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 30 Jul, 2011 11:05

when replacing pool pump motors, it's always a good ideal to be sure of the electrical situation. New pool pump motors come factory default at 220v. If you are running 110v and hook it up without changing it over to 110, it will cause a "tripping" of the motor and it will not work. However, you are going to want to make sure of this using a multi-meter, or an electrician if you are not competent with electricity as it is very dangerous if you do not know what you are doing. If you take the two leads going to the motor (usually both red if 220, but not uncommon to have a red/black, or red/white, etc...) Place one multi-meter lead on each screw from the timer and together at the same time should read 220v. If not (again, be sure), you will have to switch the jumper inside the motor back plate to 110v if that is what you are running to the timer.
larbec
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have a 20 x 36 in the ground pool

Pump tripping breaker!

Postby larbec » Wed 31 Aug, 2011 18:55

Does it trip if you disconnect the load (motor/pump)? You will be able to see if it is the motor (motor/pump) is bad or the electrical system. If you do not know how to perform the troubleshooting please hire and electrician. Always make sure you flip the breaker to OFF when disconnecting the motor.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”