Sand Filter cracked

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
swknmbc

Sand Filter cracked

Postby swknmbc » Sun 29 May, 2011 13:35

I just went out to replace the sand in my Doughboy pool sand filter.The end of last year it wasn't filtering very well. Looks like a Silica I. The pool is a 24 ft round above ground 48" Timberline. It is a older pool but has been very good. It came with the house. We have had it for about five years. The problem is that the bottom of the filter tank is cracked. Do I need to go back and buy a filter from the doughboy dealer? EXPENSIVE. Or can I just buy any sand filter? If I can buy any filter what size would I need? The pump is still good. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sand Filter cracked

Postby Guest » Tue 05 Jul, 2011 08:31

What did you find out? Our doughboy filter has a hole in the bottom of it this year and we don't have the paperwork from 9 years ago to get the warranty work done.
TSH Tech

Sand Filter cracked

Postby TSH Tech » Tue 05 Jul, 2011 12:14

You don't necessarily have to buy Doughboy brand replacement sand filter. Sometimes the aftermarket quality are better than OEM. In your case, the OEM cracked, and it will certainly crack again.
Not that I'm endorsing any brand, but as an example, the Hayward VL series(model VL40T32S) sand filter would be a perfect application for your sized pool.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”