Help on Pool plumbing repair due to cracked PVC pipe

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
jp112
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: concrete, 8m x 4m
salterwater chlorinator

Help on Pool plumbing repair due to cracked PVC pipe

Postby jp112 » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 08:15

Hi everyone

just wondering if i could get some advice on a plumbing repair job. I've never done it before, but I think i can give it a go as it doesn't seem too difficult as long as i get some of the basics right.

If you look at the pictures - an elbow in one of the pool plumbing pipes has cracked due to tree roots pushing up against the piping.

It seems like there might be a few different ways to do this repair, so i just wanted to know what may be the best approach in terms of where to cut the pipes and what different pieces i would need to buy other than the elbow and some couplings.

This would be a short / medium term solution, because eventually i'm going to have to rip this tree down so that this issue does not re-occur with the roots growing over it (you can see from the top view photo that the piping is not even perfectly straight as over time it seems to have caused the pipe to bend slightly.

Here are the pictures:

https://ibb.co/cTgdmw
https://ibb.co/ht8Ktb
https://ibb.co/gzjQYb

So far thinking i will need the following:

Some "pressure" Couplings (to connect elbow to straight pipe and to connect the 2 elbows?)
1 or 2 90 degree PVC elbows, depending on the best solution
1x Glue
1x Primer
1x cable saw (to cut in the tight area)

once i cut it, i will take the cut off parts back to my local hardware / plumbing shop to check i get the right size pressure pipe fittings. From reading through a few different threads, people have had issues with different size pipes so i figure its best just to take it to the store.

Cheers

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Help on Pool plumbing repair due to cracked PVC pipe

Postby Teapot » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 13:45

Personally I wouldn't buy elbows, I would either bend the pipe to suit or at least use to 30 deg fittings and joiners.
It's important after you cut the pipe, (try to get it cut squarely) that you put a chamfer on the ends of the pipe so it forms a glue fillet rather than pushing the glue out of the way.
jp112
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: concrete, 8m x 4m
salterwater chlorinator

Postby jp112 » Thu 01 Feb, 2018 05:47

thanks folks for the replies.

after much consideration, i think im going to chop the tree and the root that are in the way of this pipe. it will make my job easier, plus it would have eventually needed to have gone anyway.

ill repost once ive done that job, and hopefully it will just be a straight line 50mm pipe with a few couplings to connect it all up
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 01 Feb, 2018 07:07

It looks like the pipework was plumbed round the tree to start with and removal would be the best option although you could cut out both sides of the tree and raise the pipe so that it avoids the tree roots
If you remove the tree and put a straight piece between, see if you have movement of the pipe so that you can connect properly. A slip compression coupling would make the job easy. An alternative would be to form a loop like existing but on it's side
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 01 Feb, 2018 11:41

It looks to me that one pipe is 2" and the other 1 1/2" anyway once the tree is out of the way it should be much more straight forward, and straight is better pun intended.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”