low flow low pressure in ground pool

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
daveremi
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby daveremi » Sat 04 Mar, 2006 19:08

Was told motor bearings were bad. Have replaced motor but still have the same problem. This is a Hayward Cartridge filter and pump. Have run a garden hose at both ends of the pipe, pump & skimmer, and haven't seen anything come out as far as something plugging the pipe. Is there any other way to clear the pipe or maybe something else is wrong? I did vacuum a lot of leaves recently. There is water coming out of the inlet but not at the usual flow.

Pool Help

Blocked pipe

Postby Pool Help » Sun 05 Mar, 2006 11:40

It sounds like the problem is on the suction line. Blockages downline of the filter are very uncommon.

Try running the pump on recirculate, bypassing the filter. This creates more suction and may pull the blockage through.
Disconnect the pump from the skimmer line and try run a hose through the pipe.

Let us know what happens and perhaps we can come up with something further.
rickpx14
I'm new here
I'm new here

having similar problems

Postby rickpx14 » Fri 26 May, 2006 06:26

I have underground pool. Pump is running ok but I have low flow. I am going directly to waste (bypassing the filter). I replaced all suction side pipes and it is air tight. In fact, when I turn off pump, I hear a swoosh of water that kicks back into the basket. When I open the basket lid the presuure relieves. So it seems like I have plenty of pressure but the water doesn't want to move for some reason. Any ideas? Thanks. PS - the pressure gauge barely moves. It sits at 5psi.
DEPET

Postby DEPET » Fri 26 May, 2006 08:22

I recently vaccuum a lot of leaves and tree seeds which caused me a similar problem. What happened was that all the debris got pulled through my baskets and caused the impeller on the pump to clog up. I still had some flow but not anything like it should have been. The only way to unclog it was to disassemble the pump. It really isn't hard to do. Good luck
rickpx14
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby rickpx14 » Fri 26 May, 2006 14:35

thanks. I thought that might be the next step. I'll go see if I can find anything in there
lee

Postby lee » Thu 15 Jun, 2006 07:30

I had a very similar problem. Pool guy told me to open the pump which actually was very easy (I am not that handy and did it easily, probably depends on your pump) and there would be leaves stuck in the rotor (propeller) that spins to generate suction). Leaves somehow get past the filter basket into the pump and jam it up. I saw the clog, pulled it out w/ my fingers and it was better. The problem for me now, is that every time I vaccuum it keeps getting a similar clog, no matter how careful I am to make sure no leaves get in the pump when I remove the skimmer basket. Not sure what to do, because I have a very dirty pool and I have to do this unclogging every 5-10 mins
f

f

Postby f » Tue 09 Jan, 2007 19:48

ff
larryljr

Postby larryljr » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 19:21

When I vac, I too get much debris getting to the filter basket and beyond. I now use cover my skimmer basket with a woman's nylon stocking . . . works great.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”