Above ground pool pump running hot

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
ibra0078
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Above ground pool pump running hot

Postby ibra0078 » Sat 17 Apr, 2021 17:52

I find the pool pump power cord runs pretty hot. I don't remember it being this hot last year. Pump is plugged into an heavy duty extension cord and then to a 20amp GFCI outlet.

Last year I had a very old pump died so I picked this up second hand. Can it be possible that the pump is dieing?

Also want to mention last year the pump stopped and I had to open up the cover housing and the wiring going to the on/off switch had corrosion to the point where it wasn't making a good connection. I had to cut the connection but since then I haven't had an issue.
20210417_184650.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Above ground pool pump running hot

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 18 Apr, 2021 01:56

Is the extension lead coiled because it will get hot. It should be uncoiled
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 18 Apr, 2021 03:27

That looks like a 1.5hp pump but connected via a small jubilee clip connection. To put it another way that pump is working too hard. That will kill the pump quicker but also be costing you a lot in electricity and achieving nothing over a properly sized pump.
ibra0078
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Re: RE: Re: Above ground pool pump running hot

Postby ibra0078 » Sun 18 Apr, 2021 05:54

Denniswiseman wrote:Is the extension lead coiled because it will get hot. It should be uncoiled
The coiled wiring you see is from the the pump, I I'm thinking snipping the cord and make it shorter. However I'll definitely on coiled that.

I'm just shy few feet to connect it directly to the outlet so unfortunately I'll need to use an extension cord. I'm planning on next year to move the pump and filter away from the pump and closer to the outlet.

ibra0078
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Re: RE: Re: Above ground pool pump running hot

Postby ibra0078 » Sun 18 Apr, 2021 05:57

Teapot wrote:That looks like a 1.5hp pump but connected via a small jubilee clip connection. To put it another way that pump is working too hard. That will kill the pump quicker but also be costing you a lot in electricity and achieving nothing over a properly sized pump.
Yes it's 1.5hp pump, I know it's a overkill for this pool but it really helps push the water through my solar panels on-top of the roof.

What do you mean by the Jubilee clip? Are you talking about the pronge connectors?

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 18 Apr, 2021 08:10

I meant the stainless steel tube clip (Jubilee).
How high are the solar panels? Also its flow you want so a bigger pipe gives bigger flow, small pipe gives higher pressure. You need just enough to reach the panels. Personally I would have a much smaller or add a speed control for filtering only then increase the power when using the solar as well.
When I do this for a customer I calculate the headloss of plumbing and the height of the water. I would usually add a second circulation pump for the solar as you dont need a massive flow to get good gain in temperature at the pool. If it really pushes the water through the panels its doing exactly the same at the filter and thats the reverse of what you want, slower filtration is better filtration.
ibra0078
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby ibra0078 » Sun 18 Apr, 2021 16:23

We moved into this house recently so still learning. Every house has two jubile clips, I added another one on the pump. Shoul I be using them?

Solar panels are about 10ft across and 15ft up along the house. I just added a diverter instead of my homemade one so it's really easy now to direct the water so in theory I won't need a 1.5hp.

I ended up removing the housing and the ground wire was not really gounded to the screw. I stripped it and pump been running all day and the cord isn't hot, the case is warm when I touch it which I believe is normal.

I do agree it's over kill and when the pump dies I'll go with a variable speed (1-1.5hp)

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”