Intake line clog

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Themoleman
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20k gallon salt water vinyl pool, two skimmer, Pentair diverter, Pentair Superflo pump, pentair multi port, Intellichlor chlorinator

Intake line clog

Postby Themoleman » Sat 24 Apr, 2021 08:19

Last year one of my two intake lines stopped working. We assumed it was clogged with debris.We ran a hose with a pressure attachment from both ends (Skimmer and filter basket) but the pressure was not very strong. We also tried a plunger to no avail. Finally I bought a flexible fiberglass tape for pulling electrical wires and fished it though and it went about 40’ then no further. Either it was our problem obstruction or perhaps a turn. Flash forward to this year. A fountain feature was slightly clogged so I took my newly owned air compressor and blew back through the fountain opening. It fixed the problem and I noticed it blew water even back out the pool return.So it went all the way through the pump system. Wow. So I got to thinking why couldn’t I take a rubber cork, drill a hole for the compressor nozzle and blow the clogged intake out at the basket end. Has anybody here done this before? And could I damage the pool? Another thought is a product my plumber gave me that unclogs pipes but does not get hot or corrosive like the the regular store bought stuff. He said it was pipe safe for todays pvc pipes. Anyone have thoughts on that? Thank you

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Intake line clog

Postby Teapot » Sun 25 Apr, 2021 03:41

Do it, its a open ended system so you wont damage anything, might work.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”