Skimmer not priming

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
LoopPool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Skimmer not priming

Postby LoopPool » Fri 16 Jul, 2021 19:21

Hi All!
I have a simple pool set up. It is just 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, and 1 return jet in a 25000 gallon pool with a pentair variable speed pump. I recently noticed a ton of bubbles coming from the return jets. I checked the pump and noticed it was not priming. When I turn the Jandy over to main drain only, it primes perfectly! Moving it over to skimmer only, it does not prime, and water in the pump only fills up half way even if I release the air. I see a lot of swooshing. Main drain PSI is at 10 while skimmer is 7. Opening skimmer and main drain 50/50, a lot of swooshing but not fully primed.

Here are the things I've done so far:
1. Pool is filled above the minimum line. I removed the skimmer basket, I see the skimmer sucking in water. No vortex. I don't have a skimmer valve either.
2. Weir door is ok and floating freely. I jumped in the pool and did not see any stuck objects.
3. I thought I had a leak so I bought some dye and tried to find it, but unable to locate the leak. It doesn't seem like I'm losing much water. Water drops an inch about 4-5 days. It's been around 90 degrees in Los Angeles.
4. Google said it may be a clog. I bought a drain king and tried to push out any debris, but nothing came out. I tried to snake it too, but nothing came out. I threw in a few leaves to double check if there's a clog, but leaves went straight through.
5. Pump lid is in good condition. O ring on there is all good.

Let me know what else I should try? Is it ok to live without the skimmer? Haha. All advice is much appreciated.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Skimmer not priming

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 17 Jul, 2021 08:28

You have a suction side air leak from your skimmer to the pump
To check, drain down to below your skimmer and see if the water in the skimmer disappears
The skimmer does what it says skims the floating debris of the pool surface

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”