Strainer gets air when I switch from recirc to filter

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
BoeTXDN
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 29,000 gal, kidney shaped, Hayward 2060 DE filter, Hayward 1.85HP Tristar 900 variable speed pump, Hayward TC-15 salt cell, pool to pump 50 feet due to inability to get 240V/50AMP power any closer due to location of main breaker, Central Texas hard water and insane heat, plaster/concrete in-ground pool, 20 year old pool installed by previous owners.

Strainer gets air when I switch from recirc to filter

Postby BoeTXDN » Wed 13 Jul, 2022 17:36

CYA: 15 ppm
FC: 3
Ph: 7.4

No clog in the suction line- in fact, it's new. Had a Pentair cartridge filter on it and no air or prime loss.
Running a Hayward Tristar 900 variable speed pump at 2500 RPM 12 hours a day and then cut back at night.

Switched to DE Hayward 6020 two weeks ago. Pool was clean at install. Filter ran fine and pool is crystal clear.

However, lately, within 30 minutes, my pump strainer goes from zero bubbles or air to a drop of almost an inch or more of water.

I've done a backwash and added the correct lower amount to DE. Didn't work.

I removed the grids and washed those off and added correct lbs of DE.

When I go back to circulate, the water drop in the strainer goes away.

Never encountered this with cartridges and it's something that has developed recently.

Thanks to all for your expertise and experience!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Strainer gets air when I switch from recirc to filter

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 14 Jul, 2022 05:49

Definately a suction side air leak
Lubricate with silicon grease the pump pre-filter basket "O" ring
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Strainer gets air when I switch from recirc to filter

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 14 Jul, 2022 11:16

Only a 1" drop? I wouldn't be overly concerned unless it went further, get in the pool and enjoy.
BTW whats the point of running the pump at 2500rpm for 12 hours then slower at night? Just run it slower all the time if its running 24hrs, slower filtration is better filtration and saves money
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”