Pool pump lifespan (4th pump in 12 yrs..)

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
tsf
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool pump lifespan (4th pump in 12 yrs..)

Postby tsf » Thu 15 Sep, 2022 09:51

I've had my "Endless Pool" for 12 years. I am on my 4th circulation pump.

It was shipped with a Laing E14 low power pump, running 24/7 (controlled by a Gecko in.xe). There is only 6 feet of plumbing so seemed fine.

The E14 pumps seem to last about 3 years between failure. The failures seems quite consistent - a grinding noise when starting and then refusal to run.

Heat Pump:

Anyways.. I've recently added an air source heat pump (Gecko in.temp & in.ye) and another 20 feet of plumbing. My 3rd E14 failed soon after. Possibly related to the extra load.. or maybe it had just done it's 3 years of 24/7 service.

So for my 4th pump I've gone for a simpler, cheaper, more powerful traditional pump (250 watts compared to the E14's 108 watts)

https://www.poolandspacentre.co.uk/prod ... -pump.html

Questions

Q1. What contributes to the lifespan of a pump? Is it total run time x load, or does starting / stopping the pump cause extra trauma for the pump? I expect chemistry plays a part. I keep a reasonable ph level but I am far from obsessive about chemistry, so I expect my pumps could suffer a bit.

Q2. I am thinking the OEM 24/7 circulation pump cycle was possibly a bit overkill and I am OK to reduce this significantly. The new pump can move 240 litres/min. And my pool is only used for 1hr 3x per week. In theory the new pump can circulate the full pool every hour. So how about activating the pump for 1 hr evening, 1 hr morning? Is that enough? And is 2 x 1hr causing twice as much cycling trauma on the pump than 1 x 2hr?

(The 2 hrs circulation would be in addition to the circulation that takes place whilst heating. I activate the heating for a couple of hours before my swims to boost up the temp to around 23 celcius. Then turn off heating until the next swim day)

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Pool pump lifespan (4th pump in 12 yrs..)

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 01:47

I read this as circulation pump, this I would call the filter cycle pump? The endless pool swim jet being a separate pump?
Not all pumps are created equal, the pump you linked to has no pre filter so the pump will be swallowing what ever is in the pool, is this indoor or outdoor?
Lots of things affect pump life from the water they are dealing with as the calcium builds up on warm/hot parts, duty cycle, is it meant to only run for a short time, you air button suggests this is the case whereas a filtration pump would be a separate circuit.
My pump has just failed after 15 years of 24/7 running during the summer. That will go back to the factory for repair it is an expensive to purchase very high quality pump unlike some does 24 hr running without issue.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”