PVC flex tube became brittle and with a corrugated interior

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
RuiP
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 8m x 4m, polycarbonate cover, 1/2hp pump

PVC flex tube became brittle and with a corrugated interior

Postby RuiP » Fri 07 Oct, 2022 08:14

Hi

This is how I found the interior of a PVC flex pipe connected to the bottom of a skimmer:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CkmMmrFUTUWrKYwY8

When it was new, it had a smooth interior surface, right?
In addition, the tubing was very brittle: I was able to break in half, by hand.

It's a 8 year old pool, with chlorine treatment, and water heated to around 30ºC (86ºF)
What can cause this to the tubing?
- Too much heat? Max temperature was probably 34ºC (93F) (average during summer 30ºC/86ºF; around 15ºC/50ºF during fall/winter).
- Too much chlorine? At times the pool spent a few months without water circulation; and that tube was connected to a skimmer with the chlorine tabs.
- Subpar material/tubing?

Thanks

mknmike
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: PVC flex tube became brittle and with a corrugated interior

Postby mknmike » Fri 07 Oct, 2022 09:50

I’m going to guess high concentrations of Chlorine broke down the polymers. I don’t know.

You know PVC (if not the correct kind) will get brittle when exposed to sunlight. Right? PVC electrical conduit is rated for UV light, but white PVC drain pipe is not.

I have some white 1.5” flexible PVC purchased about 15 years ago for a project I never did, and I recently started using it for draining the pool to the driveway. I guess I used it once. Other than that, I have no experience with flex PVC.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 07 Oct, 2022 13:28

I'm not going to guess, if the chlorine tablets were in the skimmer(s) these are very acidic and with no water moving will quickly acidify the water leading to a classic pipe degradation. Pucks sould go in a floating dispenser
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
NancyDorna
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby NancyDorna » Fri 10 Feb, 2023 13:58

Thanks for sharing the photos; it really helps in understanding the situation. It's definitely concerning to see the interior of the PVC flex pipe like that. Based on the information you've provided, there could be a few reasons for this. Although it was never higher than 34oC (93 F), the heart could have affected the taking over time. And too much chlorine when the pool wasn't being used could be a factor. It's also possible that the material/tubing was subpar. They have a wide range of high-quality pool equipment and products, and their team is knowledgeable and helpful. Hope this helps!
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 11 Feb, 2023 08:04

Under normal situations this seldom occurs but when people put tabs in their skimmers and the system is not running 24/7 this is quite common. If you use pucks/tabs put them in the floating dispenser meant for the job. Often its pool companies that say its ok to put tabs in the skimmer, anyone guess why? Ignorance is one answer, $$$ repairs is another.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”