No suction when using vacuum hose

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
ctocsrn
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ctocsrn » Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:40

I can't get any suction after hooking up my vacuum hose. Everything works fine during normal operation, but when I hook up my hose I don't get any suction. It seems the suction works until the hose filles up with water, then nothing. My jets are working fine. The hose is only a couple of months old with no breaks/cracks. I have tried it on filter and waste.

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Thu 27 Sep, 2007 13:47

It seems the suction works until the hose filles up with water, then nothing.

Are you priming vac. hose before hooking it up to skimmer?
You have to prime vac. hose by sucking on the end of it with your mouth until hose is filled with water, then attach vac. hose to skimmer.
If you do not, you will unprime pump and add air to pump which then needs to reprime. Some older metal pumps will need water added to pump basket as they do not self prime. Newer style pumps which you normally can see in through top of pump lid will self prime and fill back up.
Do you have diverter valve in skimmer? Most one hole skimmers use this to not share suction with bottom skimmer/main drain, just make sure it is turned for suction. If two hole skimmer, you should not have diverter valve.
sparkwatercleaner

Postby sparkwatercleaner » Sat 29 Sep, 2007 19:27

Also, is th valve to which the hose is attached open (skimmer, vaccuuming port)? Are the other valves closed?

Ps: Another way of priming the hose is by attaching it to one jet till it is full of water.
stuart

no suction

Postby stuart » Sun 21 Oct, 2007 10:35

Can any one help, our pump has no suction through the creapy and very little, or no flow through the side jets, it has been working but since I cleaned the pool it just stopped working, I have backwashed and rinsed, still no suction at all. The inspection glass on the side of the selector is full and clear... is there a block, what can i do
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sun 21 Oct, 2007 12:37

what does pressure gauge read/show?
If it shows no pressure at all then possible clog.

unplug kreepy krauly hose from skimmer, does pressure get better?
make sure pump basket & skimmer have no debris.
impeller for pump could be clogged, take pump basket lid off & basket out. Then take your finger or small screw driver and go down to bottom hole and feel for impeller which should turn easy.

If it still shows very high pressure on gauge, then depending on if sand or DE filter you need to inspect or clean inside.

theres a couple more things you can do but try these first
HIRAM
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

i have the same problem

Postby HIRAM » Sun 09 Mar, 2008 22:01

i think the clogg is in the suction pipe before it gets to the baket,but dont know what the pressue gage should show i wish i could push high pressure water in by way of the skimmer to push what ever is glogging it into the basket should i call a plummer
Johnny123

Postby Johnny123 » Sat 03 Sep, 2011 14:21

Got the same problem, pressure is working, everything runs fine, Hose is filled with water, gauge working correctly, just replaced all gaskets... still loses suction. What the hell?
lkantertv

Postby lkantertv » Wed 14 Sep, 2011 13:19

Same problem...very little suction at the hose connection in the pool. Could be a possible blockage in the vacuum line itself since it was working fine for at least 10 minutes then lost the suction. Roto Rooter the line maybe?
Psummer

Re: No suction when using vacuum hose

Postby Psummer » Sat 15 Jul, 2017 22:23

Everything on my pool is working perfectly until I put my vac hose on. Then I lose suction. I've checked the hose for holes or clogs. I've cleaned the filter. I've checked the valves. I've tried putting it on the top of skimmer with plate attachment as well as directly into the hole. I fill the hose before attaching it. I've tried vac to waste as well as thru the filter. I even bought a new hose. Please help me figure this out.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 16 Jul, 2017 04:17

Psummer wrote:Everything on my pool is working perfectly until I put my vac hose on. Then I lose suction. I've checked the hose for holes or clogs. I've cleaned the filter. I've checked the valves. I've tried putting it on the top of skimmer with plate attachment as well as directly into the hole. I fill the hose before attaching it. I've tried vac to waste as well as thru the filter. I even bought a new hose. Please help me figure this out.

This is a double post
Please keep to one thread
av8tor

Postby av8tor » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 16:49

Got the same problem, did you ever get an answer?????
av8tor

Postby av8tor » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 16:53

system running well, good suction in skimmer, jets running normal. fill the hose up with water from one of the jets, drop it into the skimmer pump runs dry. leave it run, pull the hose back out of the skimmer, pump picks up the prime and runs normal. refill the hose drop it back into the skimmer, pump runs dry. new pump , new hose, new filter. any ideas?
CarolCPalmer
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I am a resident of Ontario. Short course swimming pool which is 25 yardsand 75 feet long. I am very passionate about swimming my husband too. I regularly do the maintenance work for my swimming pool. I also ensure the cleanliness ofmy pool.

Postby CarolCPalmer » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 23:24

You need to check if there are any bubbles in the pump basket. Bubbles mean the pump sucks air, not water. Fill vacuum hose with water before you attach it. Push it down from vacuum head so that the water rises up the hose and then you can attach it.
Check for bubbles with the pump running and without the vacuum hooked up.
It could be due to suction side leak. Meanwhile, you can DIY, if needed, basket lid o-ring, inspect, clean and lube it well. With regard to the pump drain plugs, remove and reseal them. Ensure that the skimmer weir is working freely. Check that the water level in the pool is not creating a vortex.
The plumbing contractors in Toronto say that always put the swivel end of the hose on the vacuum and not the skimmer. Also, check for the pressure when before and after you start vacuuming.
Now, the suction side leak is a leak in the pipes that go from your skimmer back to the pump area.
mdumm

Postby mdumm » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 20:23

Anyone still interested in the outcome of this. The Chlorine tablet feeder was installed backwards. With full suction the water could hold the column of tablets up enough to pass some water thru even though it was pointed in the wrong direction. Plug in the vacuum hose, not enough suction to hold up the tablets in the tower, so they dropped down, plugging off the flow. Uninstalled and reinstalled the chlorine tablet feed tower, everything works perfectly. Bottom line, chlorine feeder installed reversed to the water flow.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 00:47

mdumm wrote:Anyone still interested in the outcome of this. The Chlorine tablet feeder was installed backwards. With full suction the water could hold the column of tablets up enough to pass some water thru even though it was pointed in the wrong direction. Plug in the vacuum hose, not enough suction to hold up the tablets in the tower, so they dropped down, plugging off the flow. Uninstalled and reinstalled the chlorine tablet feed tower, everything works perfectly. Bottom line, chlorine feeder installed reversed to the water flow.

Congratulations and thanks for posting your solution as it helps others with the same problem and gives them something to check
One thing I would like to point out if you are not aware is that continous use of stabilised chlorine tablets will raise your CYA level so high that your chlorine becomes ineffective and you have to dose higher to maintain correct sanitation levels as in Chlorine / CYA Chart relative to the recommended Pool Levels
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”