Dirt coming into the pool and low pressure

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Pat

Dirt coming into the pool and low pressure

Postby Pat » Sun 04 Jun, 2006 14:44

We just received a lot of rain. The day after I noticed the pressure had dropped from 20 psi to around 5 psi. I backwashed the pump. When I started the pump back on filter I noticed there was a lot of debris coming into the pool (looked like leaves and dirt). There were also a bunch of ants coming through the filter system.

I cleaned out my filter but this did not help. I think I may have a hole in one of the pipes and that's where the dirt and ants are coming from and could also explain why the pressure dropped. Any advice?

Pooly

Postby Pooly » Thu 08 Jun, 2006 02:01

Hi Pat,

I have the exact same thing but I also have no idea as to what the problem is. I was thinking that I had a leak between the multiport and the tube in the sand filter. So I added an o-ring there but it didnt help at all.
I also have no pressure changes at all (Have great flow of water in the system but the actual pressure gauge does not move at all)..

Hope someone can help us... =(

Postby Guest » Wed 05 Jul, 2006 18:03

pressure test your equipmenr .if they used black poly or tiger flex you may have a leak .ants love that pipe . even with schuedual 80 maybe you developed a leak somewhere . i'd start with the returns also .
lsumter

Pressure testing

Postby lsumter » Sun 09 Jul, 2006 13:17

[quote="Anonymous"]pressure test your equipmenr .if they used black poly or tiger flex you may have a leak .ants love that pipe . even with schuedual 80 maybe you developed a leak somewhere . i'd start with the returns also .[/quote]

What is the best method for pressure testing your lines. I am seeing dirt as well. The last time this happened I used a baloon type device you hook to a water hose. Incerted it into the line at the pump and plugged the skimmer. Is there a better way?

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”