No pressure and dirty pool

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
ETex2
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ETex2 » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 16:27

Just bought a house with a gunite pool and there is no pressure at the filter. This is a simple set-up - no spa and only one valve. On the advice of the pool supply co., I: replaced pressure gauge, replaced o-ring at filter basket, and replaced filter cartridge. Maybe 1 or 2 pounds of pressure. There are no leaks that I can tell, and there is pressure (water and looks like lots of air) coming from the returns. The basket has water. I must be missing something obvious. Suggestions? Thanks!

Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Postby Pool Clown » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 23:14

What hp is the motor on the pump? If it's a two speed, that may be all you will get on low speed.
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.
ETex2
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ETex2 » Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:19

I'll have to check that; I don't think it's a two-speed. There are no switches or anything else on the pump or in the wiring to lead me to believe it is, but I'll investigate. Frankly, the labels on the pump are so old and faded out that I doubt I'll be able to read it, but will try. Thanks
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Postby Pool Clown » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 19:18

How about the basket in the pump housing? Is it cracked or have a hole in it? If debris gets through the basket, it can begin to collect in the impeller and eventually slow the flow way down, if not stop it all together.
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”