Light spread of black sediment

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
RonPace
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uncovered inground 12x6M, Cl and Ph solenoid doser. Glass media filter. South France

Light spread of black sediment

Postby RonPace » Fri 23 Sep, 2022 07:49

I am quite proud of the pool this year having learnt lots of tricks here.

Last week though, the pool had no use so the water was not being churned other than from the return jets. I guess as a result, I have a very light spread of black sediment. It is so fine that when I even go near it with a brush, it swirls into a green cloud and dissipates into the water.

Whatever it is, it just goes straight through the filter when vaccd into it. I tried sweeping it ever so gently into a corner, but most of the stuff disappears, leaving clear water, only to return the next day!

Is this algae? Can one get rid of it successfully, or is it just a case of brushing the pool every day? Talking to others, I get answers of this product and that product, but having got the pool running quite nicely with hydrochloric acid and diluted bleach (in France, Javel) and rid of all the fancy cans on the shelf, I am hoping for a simple solution...

Current readings
Salt 3.6
TC 5
FC 4.5
Ph 7.7
TA 90-100
CYA 67

RonPace
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uncovered inground 12x6M, Cl and Ph solenoid doser. Glass media filter. South France

Re: Light spread of black sediment

Postby RonPace » Sat 24 Sep, 2022 04:18

Reading the stickies above, mine is live algae, or sounds like it.

How sensitive is the CYA to Chlorine relationship? My CYA is mid sixties, but a quick look at the chart shows that this is a bit low and that it should be 70 - 80. would a difference of 10 to 15 ppm be significant? And the reason for this black/green dust?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Light spread of black sediment

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 24 Sep, 2022 16:13

Hi Ron, sometimes the black/brown is oxidised stuff. I have put this under the microscope and its not (in my case ) algae but very fine dust from the fields nearby being cut.
What I do is put a cotton tea towel into the skimmer and it collects it nicely.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”