Algae production?

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
RonPace
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uncovered inground 12x6M, Cl and Ph solenoid doser. Glass media filter. South France

Algae production?

Postby RonPace » Sat 06 Nov, 2021 08:50

Good afternoon

At what water temperature does algae cease to grow?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Algae production?

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 06 Nov, 2021 09:14

Rumoured to be 10c.

If there is enough nutrients (phosphate) and light it seems to want to continue but slower from my experience. It may not bloom until its warmer though.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
RonPace
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uncovered inground 12x6M, Cl and Ph solenoid doser. Glass media filter. South France

Postby RonPace » Sun 07 Nov, 2021 05:24

Interesting. I ask as the subject came up the other night. No conclusion though as we knew nothing about it!
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 20 Jan, 2023 16:12

If I understand you correctly yes they consume CO2. Everything however slows below 10C so growth is negligible. Another reason why running with total alkalinity at lower levels than the pool industry state is less of all nutriets slows growth even further and alkalinity is mainly carbonates disolved in water. Better filtration, lower phosphate and alkalinity and everything improves and you dont get those pH rises with lower alkalinity.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: 28' x 10' indoor, liner, oil heater, sand filter.

Postby Phil.c » Sat 21 Jan, 2023 04:29

So what figure do you recommend for TA being lower than the pool industry state?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 21 Jan, 2023 11:38

Depends on what the pool is made of, vinyl liner, fibre glass or tiled/plaster. Also what the alkalinity of the incoming water is. I run my vinyl pool at a TA of around 45 but my local water was very high so once I have reduced the TA, I dont like to top up with tap water very often as its around 220! I haven't added pH- very often and the 1 litre bottle is around 4 years old now. pH very stable. For a plaster pool it needs to be a bit higher say 60 and raise the pH a little to compensate and keep the water from being too aggresive to the surface (langlier saturation index) pH has a greater affect than adding alkalinty booster that in turn causes pH rises. Important to note that with lower alkalinity the pH will drop more than usual if you add acid as alkalinity is a pH buffer so less buffer means it moves easier and quicker. If you use chlorine pucks they are acidic but made for the industry level of alkalinity so they will cause a drop in pH. As we dont advocate using pucks because of their cyanuric acid build up in the water over time.
InfinitePooj
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 6m x 4.2m

Postby InfinitePooj » Tue 13 Jun, 2023 06:50

RonPace wrote:Good afternoon

At what water temperature does algae cease to grow?

Sometimes it may not matter about the temperature but more about how much light is hitting the pool or what is feeding the algae.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 13 Jun, 2023 10:18

Of course but that wasn't the question. Even on cold days the sun hitting the waters surface can still warm it above 10c and of course as you say the light encourages growth. Thats why people should never buy mesh covers.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”