Frogs in and around pool

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
pd

Frogs in and around pool

Postby pd » Mon 03 Jun, 2013 20:35

Our neighborhood has these tiny-but-huge-noisemakers too. I have been opening my pool this week and tonight I hear them everywhere around the pool but can't see them. They are SO LOUD!!!!

Can someone tell me what to DO with the mothballs/crystals? Do you place them in the dirt around base of the pool? I have a round, above-ground pool with a deck around most of it. Open at one end.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

n8ster

Frogs in and around pool

Postby n8ster » Wed 05 Jun, 2013 09:01

I went to the dollar store and bought a few fake plastic snakes. Put them out around the pool and guess what. NO FROGS
dlhiram

Frogs in and around pool

Postby dlhiram » Wed 05 Jun, 2013 09:22

I have had a problem with frogs for 3 years and it is driving me crazy. I have had my pool for 14 years and we live on a lake. We never had this problem until 3 years ago. They get in every night and lay eggs and it is gross.I have tried moth balls and it did not work. All that did was make us not want to go to the pool because the smell was disgusting. We use baquacil which is different from chlorine but we have used it since we put our pool in I have contacted pool stores, the county extension office, and no one seems to be able to help. I have also put algacide all around the outside of the pool because one pool place told me it would deter them but that did not help either. I have 2 small dogs so not sure what else to try that will not bother my dogs.I am so aggravated and I do not want to quit using baquacil because it has saved our liner. The pool is covered every winter and when we open it there is never any frogs around until about 4 or 5 days and then its like the word gets out and it then becomes a resort for frogs. About ready to sell my home because its driving me crazy I have to get frogs and eggs out every morning. Any more suggestions?
dlhiram

Frogs in and around pool

Postby dlhiram » Wed 05 Jun, 2013 09:25

How long did the fake snake thing work?
n8ster

Frogs in and around pool

Postby n8ster » Wed 05 Jun, 2013 10:04

So far its worked for 4 nights. My wife moves the snakes around during the day. I'm also thinking about somehow diluting some mothballs and soaking the fake snakes in it. Another post mentioned mothballs worked so hmmmm.
Nique

Frogs in and around pool

Postby Nique » Thu 06 Jun, 2013 00:48

Thanks so much for this, my mom made me search this because she has the window closest to the backyard, where the demonic chanting frogs reside . So where did you put the moth balls ?
Nique

Frogs in and around pool

Postby Nique » Thu 06 Jun, 2013 00:52

Oh & when i read your name, i thought about "Oh Darla !" from Lttle Rascals .. kinda irrelevant, but i thought i'd share that w| you :)
aprilturner

Frogs in and around pool

Postby aprilturner » Thu 27 Jun, 2013 02:22

I have the frog problem...and it's now getting complicated with a racoon issue! Frogs love my pool (chlorine and all), racoons love the frogs! Frogs getting caught in skimmer, still plenty others making a raucus, racoons coming right up to the glass doors...making the cats inside howl and the dog barking! calgon take me away!
adamnldt

Frogs in and around pool

Postby adamnldt » Sat 29 Jun, 2013 16:02

Sounds like an unfortunate series of events from a TV show. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that type of calamity, sheesh. I'm sure you've looked around plenty, but here are some solutions I found on the web - http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Frogs

Frogs in and around pool

Postby Guest » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 07:52

Try dryer sheets less poisonous...
Johnweld114

Frogs in and around pool

Postby Johnweld114 » Mon 22 Jul, 2013 21:37

We have the same problem and will try mothballs.
razzbones
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: inground L 30000 gal
AquaRite salt system
McEwen 27 mil vinyl liner
Hayward Pro-Series S244T 24" Inch Inground Swimming Pool Sand Filter
hayward star pump c900
Unicell c-8409 filter
icell c-8409 filter

Frogs in and around pool

Postby razzbones » Sun 28 Jul, 2013 12:21

We would get a frog or 2 in the pool, so I bought a couple Frog Logs on Amazon so they could get out and not drown. Never had issues with them making a racket though. I don't want to find dead frogs in the skimmer.
inground L 30000 gal
AquaRite salt system
McEwen 27 mil vinyl liner
Hayward Pro-Series S244T 24" Inch Inground Swimming Pool Sand Filter
hayward star pump c900
Unicell c-8409 filter
bamagal

Frogs in and around pool

Postby bamagal » Mon 19 Aug, 2013 16:42

Darla, Thank-you for the good work. I will try mothballs. We moved into a home with an in ground pool and it is a home for frogs. We have been removing the plants around the pool, going to replace the liner and refill.
I have never seen so many frogs in one place. We have dogs in the yard also but the pool is fenced.
Carol-0

Frogs in and around pool

Postby Carol-0 » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 08:28

I second the vote for "Frog Log." When I moved into my present home, I had frogs desperately swimming in the pool every morning. I bought the Frog Logs and have never had to remove a frog since. It is humane, a a marvelous invention, and keeps on working. It is now the second summer and continues to do the job. The racoons and other critters will have no reason to hang around. Hope this helps!
Mercedes

Frogs in and around pool

Postby Mercedes » Sun 08 Sep, 2013 03:27

We get frogs in our skimmer every night. They usually are babies. A few embryos. And one huge one dead on the bottom of the pool. Our pool is an in ground pool. Heated. And chemicals go in a a automatic chlorine filter. They don't seem to croak. If so I don't hear them. I have both cats n a dog out there. We don't leave the pool light on either. We have no clue where they are breeding and ending up in our pool. We scoop them out if still alive which is usually, and they burrow in the lawn down to dirt. Even tho we keep our grass cut short. We don't have any other water source that they can breed in n we have never found any breeding of the frogs either. Just the one time small young frogs just passed considered tadpoles. Have no clue how to prevent this problem! :wtf:

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”