pool dust solved, A thanks will do!

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Alecdavis

Re: pool dust solved, A thanks will do!

Postby Alecdavis » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 15:40

Hi,I have an Intex 15x 42 with a cheap vacuum....it works well, however do you have a procedure you go through in order to get it working ? Often takes me 15 minutes to get it sucking...thanks advance ,alec

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 16:33

Hi Alec
Fill the hose with water from a return jet keep it under water while connecting to the vacuum, if you have to take it out of the water to connect, seal the end with your hand

Postby Guest » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 08:53

Thank you a million times over ! We put the sock on last night and it's dang near perfect this morning! I was going crazy!! So glad I came across this post!
anncaron
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 27' round above ground

Postby anncaron » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 07:51

Hi. I have struggled with this problem for years and am glad to see it's nothing that I'm doing wrong! I tried the white sock on the return hose last night but water kept dripping from the sock. I have an aboveground pool. Where exactly am I supposed to put the sock?
HAMZAH2019
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool is IN ground TYPE 3m×5m.
My filter is HAYWARD 20 INCH NEW MODEL.

Postby HAMZAH2019 » Mon 24 Jun, 2019 16:31

THANKS ALOT MAN (GOOD THINKING)
I am having the same problem small particles return back to the pool after cleaning the pool (at the end of the process) . I replaced the sand with glass type (expensive) . Problem still. I think my problem is in the pump (too powerful) for the filter 20 inch. I tried your way and i hope it will solve my problem. Thanks alot
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 24 Jun, 2019 23:19

Which glass, they are not all created equal?
Yes quite common to see big pump, small filter which is counter productive and cost you a lot more in electricity. What pump and filter have you got?
Skimmer socks can help and I use a cotton Tea towel or towel scrunched up in the skimmer basket.
HAMZAH2019
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby HAMZAH2019 » Tue 25 Jun, 2019 09:34

My pool is 5mx3m . My filter is 19 or 20inch swim pro vl-240T hayward underdrain assy comes in one big peice (not finger type) and a 1&1/2 horse power hayward pump. Two months ago i replaced the old sand with new one from nature works (glass sand) works for 6 years and can be washed. I also changed pool water. And very fine sand returns to pool every time i clean the pool . Where is the problem?
http://www.hayward-indonesia.com/2015/0 ... d.html?m=1
I remember that last time i opened the filter to replace the sand , i foud very fine mud at the bottom of the filter tank just like the one returns to the pool. !!!!!
Thanks for help
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 25 Jun, 2019 16:38

Yes big pump small filter, although the filter isn't too small for your pool, the pump is ridiculously powerful at 1 1/2hp. That achieves nothing but a bigger electric bill and actually worse filtration because you are driving dirt through the filter media. As you found before lots of fine silt left in the filter despite 1 1/2 hp pump trying to drive the dirt out and the "balanced flow block"

I don't believe the block or any of the other nonsense written by Hayward is any better or worse than laterals (fingers) I have opened too many customers filters and maintain most domestic filters backwash really badly. I recommend a filter strip down, clean of the media and re-fit every couple of years at worst, best each season if the backwash is bad and I have seen some bad backwash.

I am currently building my own filter with the main purpose of the best backwash. yes we can remove a lot of fine particles but if we can't backwash the filters clean we are just heading for more issues.

Back to you, you could easily manage on a 1/2hp pump or get a variable speed control, it would pay for itself in no time and give you better filtration as you can adjust the flow.
What does your pressure gauge read?
HAMZAH2019
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby HAMZAH2019 » Fri 12 Jul, 2019 23:20

Problem solved completely by replacing the old pump with 3/4 hp pump . Now all ok .

Thanks alot

Best regards
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Sat 13 Jul, 2019 01:51

That's better and if you added a speed controller it could go better still. You don't need much power to filter well, you just need the power for the backwash. The speed controller would pay for itself in a year through savings on electricity and give you better quality water, even better than you get now. That reduces the work chlorine has to do which saves more money.
New2Pool
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15x25, vines, in ground, sand filter

Postby New2Pool » Sun 21 Jul, 2019 21:20

Hi guys, new here. I have a very similar issue. I live in Ontario, Canada. Pool is less than 1 year old. I noticed over last month or so, I’m getting these lines of what I thought was “dirt” or “sand”. The first few times, I just vacuumed in filter mode. I only run the pump overnight. I see that during the day, when pump is off, water is clear and no “dirt” or “sand”. In the morning, there’s always the dirt/sand IN THE SAME SPOTS!!
I asked the pool store what it could be and they said that if it “poofs” up as the brush hits it, then it’s mustard algae. They said to vacuum to waste, which I did quite a few times. but as soon as pump is turned on, I see the same deposits (stairs, shallow, and deep end - nothing in the middle. We only have 1 return under the skimmer. I even left my pump off for a while 24hrs, and the water was sooo clear. Within 10 min of turning pump on, the dirt/sand started to reappear.
Is there something wrong with my sand filter? Laterals?

Sorry for the ramble, I’d appreciate any insight!
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 00:49

Most pools are settling tanks, people spend money on robots and gizmos of all sorts. The pool is wonderfully clean and clear......... until they clean it, after which it's slightly hazy. Then switch everything off an the dirt settles once again.

Sadly the majority of pools have too larger pumps and too smaller filters. That leads to dirt breakthrough. Depending on the filter type to a lesser or greater extent.
Some sand only catches particles around 20 microns, AFM glass from Dryden Aqua ( Activate) 4-5 microns when used correctly. DE 1-2 microns when used correctly, filter cartridges depends on the cartridge but generally 10 microns.
To capture really fine dust you can use a flocculant or Jollygel but only in sand filters and glass, it ruins the others and in the case of Dr Dryden's glass that can filter sub micron particles.
I have put this fine dust under a microscope and it's incredibly fine, the only reason you can see it is there's a lot of it.
Try scrunching up your best cotton towel and put it in the skimmer when you vacuum.
rainfeather68
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby rainfeather68 » Wed 02 Jun, 2021 18:00

Thanks!
ApprenticeAdept
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground
Intex 16' Round 4- Deep

Postby ApprenticeAdept » Sun 08 Aug, 2021 10:53

STOP!
I put the sock over the return line to the pool on Friday.
On Saturday I bought 1500 gallons of water to replace water lost overnight.
The sock raised the pressure om the pump discharge lie and blew the line off the side of my pool.
Water drained out of that line until it was below the suction lines on the pump.
we were lucky the pump did not fail.
I just put a pool vacuum line and sweeper head in the pool then siphoned the dust off the bottom of the pool.
I have an INTEX above ground pool that uses press on fittings to connect the lines to the pool.
Oh well, Thomas Edison tried a few bad ideas also.

Here is a nod to Piers Anthony.

Debbiebe wrote:Hi, I have been fighting this problem for 4 years!!! Last year I spent hundreds of $ as a result of Dumb ____Pool people telling me it was mustard algae or they know and it boosts buisness, The puddles of brown or milky crud in the bottom of my pool, I researched for 6 hours one day--- some one recomended a company that sells a filter that looks like a vacum bag to be put over the line that puts the water back in your pool after filtering, they also recomend putting 1 on your waste line and you can feed that water back in to the pool, I went to that web site and it's 50.00 a bag. It seems the problem is :lol: the small particles your filter is not getting, and it gets worse every year. Now for the brilliant part, I put a thick white sock and rubberbanded it over the line coming in to pool, Problem solved!!!!! It's been 4 weeks, I told my next door neighbor, She did not beleive me, Now she does, I told her she owes me Dinner. Change the sock weekly. My water is sparkling and no crud, none.YEA.........

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”