In need of your expert advice please!

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
itsonlysarah
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 12ft x 30" prism frame above ground pool with pump

In need of your expert advice please!

Postby itsonlysarah » Mon 26 Jul, 2021 07:45

Hi folks.
2nd year of our pool, last year no issues whatsoever. This year - reoccuring green algae :(
We've even emptied the whole pool and started again and it's just reappearing.

PH: 6.8
Free Chlorine: 3
Alkalinity: 50ish
stabilizer: showing v low

I have the filter on constantly at the moment, but pre algae problems I would only run it during the day. It has a floating chlorine dispenser which I keep topped up with 4-5 chlorine tabs.

I've put quite a bit of algaecide in it over the last few days, I've been using a broom to brush the bottom of the pool which in turns just clouds the water up a bit.

Could the cover be causing this does anyone know, we have a solar cover and there are bits of it that are green and I'm wondering the more I'm covering the pool up, it's making the algae keep reoccurring? (not sure whats best - cover on, lots of green, or cover off, lots of dead bugs!)

Any help greatly appreciated here, happy to invest in different chemicals / put the work in to make it right but I have no idea where to start!

Thank you so much

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: In need of your expert advice please!

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 26 Jul, 2021 09:00

You don't need algecide get more chlorine in
Let's have your numbers (CYA is very important) Use a pool store if you don't have a FAS/DPD kit
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
itsonlysarah
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 12ft x 30" prism frame above ground pool with pump

Postby itsonlysarah » Mon 26 Jul, 2021 12:15

Thank you Dennis. As a total beginner here are you recommending I get all products you’ve listed?
I only have strip tests that measure the 4 things I’ve listed so I’ll order a more complex testing system as well!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 28 Jul, 2021 02:36

Test strips are commonly called guess strips
You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day and not just dumping shock in and thinking "that's it"

For the time being get a pool store to test your water and build up your CYA to about 40-50 you can use pucks for this

Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
To reduce your CYA you have to do a partial drain and refill
Continuous use of Trichlor/Dichlor will raise your CYA which means you have to raise your chlorine level as well
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach) doesn't have anything except for salt

You may need to Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) with relation to Chlorine / CYA Chart and Recommended Pool Levels
Pool Maths

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”