worms in pool in spring

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Shinnen
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have a 100,000 litre traditional inground concrete pool with a PVC liner....... chlorine treated.

worms in pool in spring

Postby Shinnen » Sun 11 Sep, 2022 10:48

Hi,
Every spring a have loads of worms in my pool; which rot and create an algae problem. I have one of those stretch covers, but it doesn't seem to keep them out. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might do that?
Thanks,
..... john

axelbrooks
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My swimming pool is a 16 x 32 foot in-ground pool with a fiberglass surface. The pump is a Hayward Super Pump 1.5HP with a sand filter and a saltwater chlorination system. It also has an automatic pool cleaner and an in-floor cleaning system.

Re: worms in pool in spring

Postby axelbrooks » Thu 11 May, 2023 07:01

I recently had a problem with worms in my pool in the spring. I was able to get rid of them by using a chlorine shock treatment and vacuuming the pool. This took care of the worms and I haven't had a problem since. I think it's important to be vigilant about keeping your pool clean in the spring to prevent any unwanted visitors.
Shinnen
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have a 100,000 litre traditional inground concrete pool with a PVC liner....... chlorine treated.

Postby Shinnen » Thu 11 May, 2023 08:38

Hi axelbrooks,
Thanks for replying.
Oddly enough we had zero worms in pool this spring. I have NO idea why.
.... john
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 11 May, 2023 09:10

Its just nature, sometimes you do, sometimes you do not. Just enjoy your pool
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Shinnen
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Shinnen » Thu 11 May, 2023 16:42

Hi Teapot,
So, you're saying that I should just ignore the worm problem?
... john
KineKilla
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby KineKilla » Thu 11 May, 2023 21:00

I usually have worms every spring in my pool. My theory is that they cross the pool deck from the lawn, sneak under the cover and "plop"...straight to the bottom.

I just suck em up during the first vacuuming. I also get the occasional spider, bees, flying ants, etc. Everything likes a nice swim now and then.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Shinnen
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Shinnen » Fri 12 May, 2023 07:23

Hi KineKilla,
Yes, I'm sure you're right. I was just thinking that there might be a way of preventing them from 'sneaking' under the cover; because they create a huge cleanup problem, not to mention that I'd rather not be killing them.
..... john
KineKilla
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby KineKilla » Fri 12 May, 2023 07:44

I use a large tarp on the roll end of my cover when I winterize the pool. I roll it up and stuff it under the roll to help block leaves and things from getting underneath.

On the other end, I haven't done anything but have considered using pool noodles or something in a similar fashion to do the same thing.

My cover is a top track setup so the only places things can sneak under are on each end.

Not sure on yours but if the problem is localized to one section, maybe you could do something similar?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Shinnen
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Shinnen » Fri 12 May, 2023 14:12

Hi KineKilla,
No, my setup is not like yours. I have one of those spring loaded covers; which doesn't leave much room for them to get under, yet they somehow do. But, your suggestions are good. I could use the noodles, or sfuff foam strips, or platic wrap, under the areas between the springs, which would be about every 18". Great idea! I'll try that this winter.
Thanks,
..... john

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”