HEATER / CHEMICAL ISSUE

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Ccsluke
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18 x 36 oval in-ground vinyl liner pool. Has 300# sand filter 1.0 hp pump. Runs continuously

HEATER / CHEMICAL ISSUE

Postby Ccsluke » Fri 23 Sep, 2022 15:38

I’m new to the forum but not with pools. I have an 18x36 oval, in ground, vinyl liner with sand filter and pump sized correctly. It’s a “chlorine” pool (as if there’s any difference in a “Salt” pool, they both are technically chlorine pools other than salt water VS fresh water. I prefer fresh water).
My question is:(my chemicals are perfect, chlorine, total chlorine,PH, total alkalinity, stabilization, etc.). WHEN I TURN ON MY POOL HEATER ON AND HEAT THE WATER, only a few degrees, the pool starts to turn green. Even though chemicals are perfect and I had just given the pool a weekly SHOCK? Why is this happening and does anyone have any suggestions? I can re-shock and add algaecide and clear it up in a few hours. Maybe I should do that first? Just looking for the technical reason why this is happening so I can better understand what’s going on.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: HEATER / CHEMICAL ISSUE

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 24 Sep, 2022 01:45

You say your numbers are perfect, how do you test?, why do you shock weekly?, how do you chlorinate?
Let's have your numbers (CYA is very important) Use a pool store if you don't have a FAS/DPD kit
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: HEATER / CHEMICAL ISSUE

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 24 Sep, 2022 02:15

Sure its algae? Metals can also turn the water green but usually clear and green.
Phosphate levels?
Pump correct size for the filter, maybe that one is for later but we'll see.
We await actual numbers as Dennis has asked
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”