Control/pump/filter equipment - redo

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
AussieSwimmer
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Inground pool, no history, aprox 24,000 gallons, with Merlin vinyl liner. Taylor TF100 test kit.

Control/pump/filter equipment - redo

Postby AussieSwimmer » Sat 31 Jul, 2021 13:42

Hello All,

Year 2 of restoring this badly neglected house. And now for the next thing with the pool - the equipment shed (power/controller/pumping/filtering).

Like seemingly everything here, the design seems haphazard and thoughtless. This house is plagued by water runoff problems on 3 sides (I am still not quite done after cutting 2 drains and regrading of slope of backyard). The pool equipment shed is right in the course of water flow (hopefully now greatly reduced), and as if that's not enough, the pump/filter package for the pool was installed sunk BELOW the rough floor.

The shed should be demolished (it leaks anyway, and is almost rusted through in places). Some questions as I design the new layout :

1. Existing motor & pump/pipework/filter - cut out, raise up (slab, gravel bed?) and reconnect, OR leave as is, and build cinder block mini-retaining wall 'upstream'. (water could be encouraged around and farther downslope, with yet another French drain). The current position is perpetually damp, and equipment tends to be splattered with clay splash residue, as water hits the shed, migrates thru it and under the rotted floor. It's great that the pump is still running strong with all this abuse.

2. Enclosed, semi-enclosed? Is it best to build a fully enclosed replacement shed, or something less than this? The control equipment could perhaps be attached to the side of the house, with some soft of overhead shelter provided. Conceivably, everything will be drier with better exposure, than is currently possible with enclosed/surface water running thru. I also need to consider chemicals storage... they're currently stacked against another wall, but under eaves and out of the weather.

I look forward to hearing what other's experience has taught them. - Grant.

24,000 gal in-ground pool.
Ongoing restoration work (previously abandoned)
Taylor TF100 test kit
Silver Spring, MD
USA
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Control/pump/filter equipment - redo

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 31 Jul, 2021 16:32

I would build the equipment slab above the surface water run off
Here in the UK we tend to protect our equipment from the weather which I think is preferable to being exposed to all weathers
Make the equipment shed large enough for the chemical storage as well, it could be locked to prevent unauthorised access
AussieSwimmer
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Inground pool, no history, aprox 24,000 gallons, with Merlin vinyl liner. Taylor TF100 test kit.

Postby AussieSwimmer » Sun 01 Aug, 2021 07:41

Thanks as always Dennis.

I find myself wondering if there's any danger to equipment by having (potentially corrosive) chemicals in the same airspace, but I guess it all comes down to making sure containers are effectively sealed.

Moving equipment vertically in order to meet/rise above grade will involve cutting every pipe run that is vertical. It will be my first time doing this, and it is under moderate pressure - on the other hand, plastic plumbing is not complicated. I may actually add some more isolation valves during the re-plumb.

Any thoughts on situating the equipment on a bed of gravel, vs concrete? I am thinking it is probably better not to pour concrete over existing pipework. A gravel bed should work fine for keeping the equipment clean and dry.
24,000 gal in-ground pool.
Ongoing restoration work (previously abandoned)
Taylor TF100 test kit
Silver Spring, MD
USA
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 01 Aug, 2021 09:04

Gravel moves so with vibration you will put extra strain on the pipework
The only other alternative would be to create a gravel drain around the pad and a way to remove it from the area

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”