Best Test Kit

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
jsf721
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 20 x 40 in ground Heated Vinyl lined pool

Best Test Kit

Postby jsf721 » Tue 14 Sep, 2021 17:04

I need to buy a test kit so that I dont have to go to the pool store to test my water.

Need all the basics plus Phosphates, CYA and metals

What do you reccommend?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Best Test Kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 15 Sep, 2021 01:46

You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day and not just dumping shock in and thinking "that's it"
It doesn't work for phoshates and metals
Phosphates aren't a problem with a proper sanitised pool and metals can be tested for with ascorbic acid (vitamin C)
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 15 Sep, 2021 02:46

Denniswiseman wrote:It doesn't work for phoshates and metals
Phosphates aren't a problem with a proper sanitised pool

I would disagree with that statement which mainly comes from TFP. You can hold back algae with copious amounts of free chlorine when there are higher levels of phosphates present but if you let the chlorine drop at all algae will appear very quickly and will take a hold requiring more SLAM treatement and more hours. Also this produces more chlorine reaction chemicals both with higher levels of chlorine and byproducts of santisation
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
jsf721
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 20 x 40 in ground Heated Vinyl lined pool

Postby jsf721 » Wed 15 Sep, 2021 07:28

Do these test kit liquids go bad over the winter? I'll be closing the pool in about a month?

I recently battled Mustard Algae and it looks like I finally cleared the water by balancing my chemicals and levels and then Super shocked it to 20 PPM. Leslie's testing proved to be flawed and I'll love to avoid going there to test my water. I just want to be able to test for everything I need. Will the TF100 provide that ability?

Now that the pool is coming down I want to be able to catch it and keep it clear. I have cleaned my DE filter by taking it apart and cleaing the grids every other day. Now that the water is clear, I will do it one more time this Saturday and hopefully I am done with that nightmare !

Denniswiseman wrote:You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day and not just dumping shock in and thinking "that's it"
It doesn't work for phoshates and metals
Phosphates aren't a problem with a proper sanitised pool and metals can be tested for with ascorbic acid (vitamin C)
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 15 Sep, 2021 09:57

Both those kits will do the job well
The reagents don't last indefinately and it would be a good idea to wait till the opening next year
Give TF100 a ring and check the expiry date

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”