Pool Automation

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
CHILINVLN
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: TBD

Pool Automation

Postby CHILINVLN » Fri 25 Jun, 2021 11:47

I'm in the process of having my pool built and the equipment and lighting doesn't include any basic automation. Using the LED light as an example, it will be wired to a switch by the pump and I'm told I would need to flip the switch on/off to change the colors (odd). For me to upgrade to automation, they want upwards of 3k or more, which seems ridiculous based on some basic searching I'm doing on Google.

My question is - if I wanted to upgrade to automation unit and connect into my Google Home app, is this something I can easily do post-construction? Easy, as in - I buy a unit, wire it in, and move forward? Is there anything I need to ensure they do specifically with the equipment in order for it to be ready for me to add an automation feature after the fact, or do I just let them install as-is, and everything I can adjust on my own? I'm fairly technical and can usually get most things done without help, but since I'm new to pools all together, I'm looking for some guidance and reassurance on how to handle.

Also, if there is a specific unit you would recommend I buy, that would help to. I really just want to be able to change the LED color at night, but I also would like to be able to monitor chemical levels in the pool as well as pool water temp.

Thanks in advance!

CHILINVLN
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: TBD

Re: Pool Automation

Postby CHILINVLN » Tue 29 Jun, 2021 07:17

Awesome, no replies. I'll add more detail then.

The unit that is being recommended is the Jandy AquaLink. I do not have a spa. I've been told I would need the unit with the hand held PDA, then do an add on for mobile phone integration. However, I see two models, one which appears to be the one I need, without an add-on. Can anyone provide insight into if just purchasing this single unit is sufficient?

AquaLink® RS Pool & Spa Automation System
https://www.jandy.com/en/products/controls/aqualink-rs
jshaffer3819
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jshaffer3819 » Tue 07 Sep, 2021 13:26

CHILINVLN wrote:Awesome, no replies. I'll add more detail then.

The unit that is being recommended is the Jandy AquaLink. I do not have a spa. I've been told I would need the unit with the hand held PDA, then do an add on for mobile phone integration. However, I see two models, one which appears to be the one I need, without an add-on. Can anyone provide insight into if just purchasing this single unit is sufficient?

AquaLink RS Pool & Spa Automation System
https://www.jandy.com/en/products/controls/aqualink-rs

I have an older pool and just upgraded to automation myself. Was pretty easy. I got the Hayward Omnihub with three relays and all works fine. You just have to do some wiring on your own. It has an app and I can use Alexa too. I’m happy with it so far.

https://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/po ... ol-control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 08 Sep, 2021 01:31

With the plethora of Zigbee etc smart sockets, lamps and who knows what else do you need these expensive systems?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
jshaffer3819
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jshaffer3819 » Wed 08 Sep, 2021 06:49

Teapot1 wrote:With the plethora of Zigbee etc smart sockets, lamps and who knows what else do you need these expensive systems?

Not sure how to add a 240v heater or VS pump to a smart socket? Or be able to turn my hot tub on with automatic valves either. If you know something that does this, please share.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 08 Sep, 2021 10:04

A 240v heater shouldn't present a problem as socket are currently rated 10A or 16A, how much current does your heater draw? If it is higher then a more powerful immersion heater controller or via hogher power relay.
How many different settings do you need for VS pump, I only use 2, filtering and backwash.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 08 Sep, 2021 10:05

Hot tub, did you mean opening air valves? Otherwise its filtration and boost pumps
jshaffer3819
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jshaffer3819 » Wed 08 Sep, 2021 10:14

Teapot1 wrote:Hot tub, did you mean opening air valves? Otherwise its filtration and boost pumps

I have a 220v Heat Pump that heats the pool and hot tub. It’s on a 50A breaker. I also have a 220v blower for the hot tub that makes bubbles. In order to switch from pool to hot tub, it has two automatic valves. Not sure how all this can be down without automation.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 09 Sep, 2021 04:45

50 A relays are available although I would go higher than that rating just for good practice and some equipment zero volt switching availble this side of the pond.
I used Jandy valves on a job about 12 years ago they were rigged as a change over setup and once the internal microswitch had left its parked spot it would cut the power to the pump.
Also dont know how technical you are but some guys on Hackspace built there own controllers using Raspberry Pi or Arduino controls.
jshaffer3819
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jshaffer3819 » Thu 09 Sep, 2021 06:00

Teapot1 wrote:50 A relays are available although I would go higher than that rating just for good practice and some equipment zero volt switching availble this side of the pond.
I used Jandy valves on a job about 12 years ago they were rigged as a change over setup and once the internal microswitch had left its parked spot it would cut the power to the pump.
Also dont know how technical you are but some guys on Hackspace built there own controllers using Raspberry Pi or Arduino controls.

Interesting. Yes that’s way above my technical level at this point. I would be interested to learn how though. Good info, thank you.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 09 Sep, 2021 11:30

Its naturally what I am looking into although currently the pool doesnt require much tech but paying mad prices for the kit you mention goes against the grain. I will post any info I find
jshaffer3819
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jshaffer3819 » Thu 09 Sep, 2021 12:01

Teapot1 wrote:Its naturally what I am looking into although currently the pool doesnt require much tech but paying mad prices for the kit you mention goes against the grain. I will post any info I find

I’m still confused how you can change the temp of your pool or spa without automation. I can say “Alexa, tell Hayward to turn on the hot tub” and it just happens. I can change the temp on my cell phone too. I also have a chiller mode on the heat pump for when the water gets too warm I can cook it down 5 degrees. All that is done through my automation. The wife and kids all have the apps on their phones and can do the same thing.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 09 Sep, 2021 13:45

I have an wifi thermostat in my home, my Mums home and my MIL's all are alexa conteollable or app so hooking that up to the heater shouldn't be difficult, wish I were there with you to try it!

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”