Sudden drop in circulation

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
AussieSwimmer
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Inground pool, no history, aprox 24,000 gallons, with Merlin vinyl liner. Taylor TF100 test kit.

Sudden drop in circulation

Postby AussieSwimmer » Mon 26 Jul, 2021 11:01

Hello all,

I'm continuing a multi-week effort to rescue our neglected pool water. I was making good progress, with the number of visible steps going from 1, to 2, to 3, sustained high free chlorine levels, multiple filter cleanings per day. I paused and did a 'pump to waste' for about 15 mins, discharging the dead material on the pool bottom.

At one point during this waste discharge, I removed the skimmer filter basket - and I think that was probably a serious mistake. (what was I thinking?).

Back to recirculation cycle (filter engaged) and there is practically zero flow evident at skimmer box, and thru return jets. There's some very small water movement, but certainly nothing that would effectively cycle the pool's contents.

Does this suggest that I've stupidly caused a blockage? The fact that the cartridge filter shows zero pressure, and almost no air discharge when I try reloading it with water, makes me suspect that if I DO have a blockage, it is going to be near/before the pump inlet section. Kicking myself here, metaphorically speaking.

Am I now up for dismantling plumbing running towards the pump inlet? - Grant.

24,000 gal in-ground pool.
Ongoing restoration work (previously abandoned)
Taylor TF100 test kit
Silver Spring, MD
USA
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Sudden drop in circulation

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 26 Jul, 2021 11:07

Check the pump filter basket first, if that is clear then you have probably clogged the pump impellor
AussieSwimmer
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Inground pool, no history, aprox 24,000 gallons, with Merlin vinyl liner. Taylor TF100 test kit.

Sudden drop in circulation - resolved

Postby AussieSwimmer » Fri 06 Aug, 2021 07:48

Hello again Dennis,

Just a follow up. Your advice provided the quick and easy fix. I was in fact able to clear the impeller without any dismantling, beyond removal of the pump inlet strainer basket. All good, full flow quickly restored. Thanks as always!
24,000 gal in-ground pool.
Ongoing restoration work (previously abandoned)
Taylor TF100 test kit
Silver Spring, MD
USA
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Sudden drop in circulation

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 06 Aug, 2021 08:39

It's good to hear that the simplest and easist was sucessful
Keep a check on it as the impellor sometimes need dismanteling

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”