Caretaker In-floor Pop-ups...not popping!

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
hydroengineerjoe
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In-ground pebble tec pool.

Caretaker In-floor Pop-ups...not popping!

Postby hydroengineerjoe » Fri 02 Sep, 2022 09:57

Hello,
I have owned an inground pool (6 years) that uses floor pop-ups to clean the pool. I did a Caretaker rebuild kit about 4 years ago when it first stopped cycling, and all went well. Recently I noticed that the Caretaker pressure was high (over 30+ psi) and the pop-ups where not functioning. Checked strainer cup…not clogged. Floor pop-ups working well...Took apart Caretaker, nothing wrong with pistons and O-rings, cam assembly appeared okay, but I didn’t focus too much on it since it spun relatively with ease. Didn’t check gears (bonehead move). When I put it back together it worked only for a few minutes, went through the 5 pop-up zones once…and then the pressure shot up again and it stopped cycling. When I now remove Caretaker, I will take a much closer look at the gears…since (with my limited experience) I believe there must be something wrong with the cam assembly for it to stop cycling in such a fashion.

Would you just do another rebuild kit to change the cam assembly, forget messing with it and just buy a new Caretaker or could it be something else that I am missing that is causing this issue?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe – just starting out in the pool owner world.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”