Pool Light Depth Below Water Surface

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Geoff_Bali
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Natural "Bali" green stone-lined concrete 12.5 x 3 meter lap pool. Designed and built by myself. Walls and floors 200m thick reinforced concrete. "Infinity" overflow full length (12.5 meters) taking the water to a 4,000-litre concrete underground tank and then returned via a Pentair pump and sand filter. The balance tank, pump, and filter are located beneath a 2x2 meter gazebo at the end of the pool. 3 permanently mounted (built in at the time of construction) LED spot-type lights. The pool has been operating for 9 years now with absolutely no issues except this year we replaced the pump. We live in Indonesia so the pool can be used year-round with a very comfortable water temperature between 28 and 30 degrees Celcius.

Pool Light Depth Below Water Surface

Postby Geoff_Bali » Sun 11 Sep, 2022 21:10

Hi All

I have 3 underwater lights permanently mounted at equal distances along the length of my 12 meter long pool. The problem is these are recessed lights and have a "spotlight" type coverage. The effect is very nice at night-time and creates a nice dramatic ambience but unfortunately, the lights have a focussed beam and do not light up the whole pool.

I am thinking of adding 1 or 2 additional 18W LED dome-shaped lights at one or both ends of the pool to light up the whole pool at night if needed. In terms of fitting the lights, I don't have any issue - at both ends of the pool I have gazebos and the back side of the wall is easily accessible so I can mount the lights and drill through the walls for the cables to then run to a 12 volt transformer. I will fit a silicon-sealed flange on the outside of the wall where the hole is and then an elbow and pipe through which I will run the cable to take the cable well above water level so there will be no leakage issues.

The only problem I have is that the light manufacturer specifies that the lights be mounted 24" below water level. Due to the position of the recirculation piping inside the wall I cannot mount the lights any more than about 18-20" below the water surface. If I drill the cable hole any deeper than 18-20" there is a risk I will drill into one of the recirculation pipes.

So my question is, despite the manufacturer's recommendation of 24" depth, is there any reason I cannot mount the lights slightly shallower at around 18-20"?

Would appreciate any guidance this forum can provide. Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool Light Depth Below Water Surface

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 12 Sep, 2022 01:45

I would be inclined to put them where I want them
The only reason I think they are suggested at 24" is so they aren't hit when swimming
Geoff_Bali
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Natural "Bali" green stone-lined concrete 12.5 x 3 meter lap pool. Designed and built by myself. Walls and floors 200m thick reinforced concrete. "Infinity" overflow full length (12.5 meters) taking the water to a 4,000-litre concrete underground tank and then returned via a Pentair pump and sand filter. The balance tank, pump, and filter are located beneath a 2x2 meter gazebo at the end of the pool. 3 permanently mounted (built in at the time of construction) LED spot-type lights. The pool has been operating for 9 years now with absolutely no issues except this year we replaced the pump. We live in Indonesia so the pool can be used year-round with a very comfortable water temperature between 28 and 30 degrees Celcius.

Re: Pool Light Depth Below Water Surface

Postby Geoff_Bali » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 00:01

Denniswiseman wrote:I would be inclined to put them where I want them
The only reason I think they are suggested at 24" is so they aren't hit when swimming

Thanks for that. I will go ahead and install at the depth I want and see if it causes any issues.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”