COVERSTAR pool cover

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby juno1996 » Mon 18 May, 2009 14:11

Has anyone else had significant problems with Coverstar's auto pool cover?

We had our installed just over 11 months ago and we just had to have both ropes replaced. The Coverstar guy tried to say the first rope broke because of rodent damage...but then he later said the 2nd rope was "about to go" because he could feel areas in the rope that were overly stretched/weakened. Trust me, I've seen rodent damage on ropes before and let me tell you, it was NOT rodent damage.

Regardless, the bill for replacement ropes was $604.46!! Let me reiterate - the pool cover is just over 11 months old. I am seriously concerned we may be dealing with this every year because we've not done anything abusive to the system. I spoke to the local owner. While his explanation was lengthy and detailed, he wouldn't give me a break.

Bottom line -their product idea is great but in reality, the Coverstar cover is a major maintenance expense - I've seen other complaints on the internet regarding this issue.

At $175 per rope, they're expensive to replace and due to the design, you can't substitute the rope with another manufacturer's. Until they come up with a better product that doesn't require this level of maintenance, I'd avoid Coverstar. I'm sorry I was talked into buying one of their products.

DanM

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby DanM » Tue 02 Jun, 2009 16:12

I am sitting here trying to regain my composure. I am livid with Coverstar. The ropes that move the cover back and forth keep dislodging from the main pulley. For a service charge, Coverstar came to my home and diagnosed that my problem was that the ropes were too short. Now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to ask Coverstar why I should pay $500 to replace ropes that they installed!!! I mean who the heck installed this to begin with. Gee, let me see here, install equipment and do a bad job of it. Then charge the home owner a ridiculous amount of money to correct your shoddy work. What a racket! I know that there are only a couple of companies that install these covers. And they only work on their own covers. Are there any independent contractors out there that do this kind of work? In my opinion these people are a bunch of theives. I would not recommend doing business with them for any reason. Their explanation was that ropes shrink. The fellow that is replacing my ropes explained that he is leaving 10 feet of slack. I find it hard to believe that the ropes that they are replacing shrunk 10 feet. These folks have you by the "short hairs" and charge you for the privlidge. This is highway robbery and needs wide exposure. Do not use Coverstar to install your pool cover.
DanM

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby DanM » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 05:22

As a follow up to my previous post. After the work was completed, the service man presented me with a bill for $828.97!! That's substantially more than the $500 that I was quoted prior to the work being started. I explained to the man that I was not paying that amount. His response was that it was not up to him, it was up to the owners of the company. At that point I told him to have the owners contact me and to get the "F..... off of my property"! I have also cancelled the bank card that Coverstar requires so that they can charge you any amount that they want. So far they have debitted my card for $223.54. I will certainly pay them, by check ,for the balance of the $500 to do this work, even though I maintain that the only reason that I needed to have them here was caused by their faulty initial installation. Had they properly installed this cover I would not have to had spent a dime, let alone $500!!! To be clear this is the Coverstar Representative in Indianapolis. I do not know if this is typical of all of the Coverstar locations in the USA. However it is quite clear to me that these folks are out of control and need to be put out of business. They have clearly established themselves to be disreputable, dishonest, and motivated to screw you over for the maximum amount of money possible. I repeat that you should not use this company for any reason. It is my intention to use the power of the internet to broadcast these messages to the maximum extent possible in the hope that it will prevent somebody else from getting screwed over by Coverstar.
kcooter

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby kcooter » Sat 06 Jun, 2009 22:10

It's a ROPE !! Why in the world would Coverstar (or any of its representatives) try to charge 500.00 much less over 800.00 ??? It's a ROPE. I'm getting sick of tired of spending thousands of dollars on a supposedly "high quality" Coverstar pool cover only to get blackmailed by crappy service later. A rope pulled around a pulley system is bound to eventually wear out. This should be easier to replace. I'll figure out how to splice the rope to a normal replacement rope if it's the last thing I do.
kcooter

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby kcooter » Sat 06 Jun, 2009 22:15

It's just a rope. I can't believe the audacity of Coverstar or its representatives charging anybody this type of money. We spent thousands of dollars on a supposedly high quality system only to receive crappy service. I'm trying to figure out how to replace the ropes myself or at least be able to splice a torn one with a new rope piece.
Sean

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby Sean » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 10:32

Has anyone figured out where to purchase rope from a third party and how to splice it? My cover has a broken rope and to replace the WHOLE cover cost $4000.00. Coverstar refuses to fix a cover that is older than three years, my cover is 6-7 years old.
KevinH

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby KevinH » Mon 15 Jun, 2009 15:32

Ah . . . .so it isn't just me.

I am trying to help my disabled mom before she dies. We ordered this system to make it easy for her as she cannot pull on and off a covery. Already went thru one replacement. Now I can't open it. While the guy in Northern CA was nice enought to try and trouble shoot with me over the phone, I am told that this happens all the time with the supposedly-dry parts of the wiring gettng flooded (including the sealed motor) and shorts out in storms.

Now, I call in late May 2009 and am told that the first appointment for anyone to come is in July 2009. 5 weeks of summer that we can't use the pool. I am told that we can manually spend 15 minutes with a pipe wrench to try and open it, but then it has to stay opened until they show up with a replacement motor - - Another $800! We got this system for safety. We went this way in lieu of putting up interior fences. So if we want any access to our pool from 5 weeks from May - July 2009, we loose all our heat (evaporation) and risk a kid falling in.

This is completely unacceptable and a clearly defective product. The water-tight electrical box was all corroded from being flooded and they see this "all the time." Something is clearly wrong here.

Then, to top it off, I am on hold calling the headquarters (800-617-7283) When it got over an hour, I called from another phone. I tell them that it has been OVER an HOUR on hold hearing their hold-music, and they say they will get someone right away. So . . . . 80 minutes on hold on one phone and 20 minutes on hold on the other phone.

This place needs to get its act together or turn them into the Consumer Product Safety Commission and/or local agencies. I am not longer finding this humorous!
bcgreene1

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby bcgreene1 » Tue 16 Jun, 2009 17:05

My COVERSTAR Pool cover's rope has broke and it is only 2 years old. The Dealer wants $700 to fix it. I can not believe the price. It's just a pulling rope. We pulled up the Step By Step Instructions from the Coverstar Manual off the internet and also the parts catolog. I am currently checking with Manufacturers of speciality ropes so I can possibly make up the rope and repair myself. Also, I figured out how to make the tabs. Replacing the rope is not difficult if you have a little mechanical ability and the Manual. As soon as I get this figured out, I wil put it on the forum. Coverstar is out of control with their products and repairs. When I checked with the Coverstar Dealer, he advised me that I was opening and closing the pool too much? (We open and close it about twice a week) I believe the ropes broke due to faulty installation by the contractor, but he went out of business and we cannot get any assistance from Coverstar. So we are going on our own.
Please do not recommend COVERSTAR to anyone, unless you don't like them.

bcgreene@frontiernet.net
bluecubsfan
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14 x 28, liner, in ground

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby bluecubsfan » Mon 22 Jun, 2009 21:17

I want to throw up. The same thing has happened to me. I purchased a replacement cover through my pool guy last year. It took months to actually receive it. Now at the opening, I'm told that the rope is broken - probably an animal chewed through it! Sound familiar?
I was told today that it could be mailed back and repaired for $540 plus $400 to take it out of the tracks and then reinstall it! So I can expect to pay close to $1000 every time the rope breaks!?
I look forward to reading your solution.
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby juno1996 » Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:25

Yes, I'm about to throw up as well. :sick:

Shortly after replacing the 1-year old $600 ropes, I noticed the tracking of the cover was off (one end of the cover would reach the track stop about 6-8 inches before the other). I called Coverstar Central to request they please come back and adjust the alignment. Explaining that they had just replaced the ropes, the girl taking the request said the repair problem, being less than 30 days old, shouldn't result in a new charge.

They finally show up about 10 days later and say the tracking is fine & that we just need to keep running the motor until both ends hit the stop. I said, "OK, but wouldn't that cause extra stress on the rest of the unit because the motor will be trying to pull the other end against the bracket?" The guy tried to provide an answer but it made absolutely no sense.

I also pointed out that the original crew that did the repair didn't re-attach a "bonding wire" that supposedly is a safely requirement and grounds the unit in case of electrical fault. Good to know!!

So, they fix that (which should have been done during the first repair) and they replace a stripped lid screw...which I didn't request.

THEN they hand me a bill for their 15 minutes of work...$223.54.

I call the office the next day to explain the repair was related to the first repair and their only response is a lame attempt at giving me the run-around...eventually they say they'll "do me a favor" and knock it down to $140. Big freaking yip - that's still over $9 a minute they actually did work at my house.

WELL, THAT WAS THE LAST TIME I'M CALLING THESE JERKS. :evil:

Please, please, please - do NOT use Coverstar covers and, if you're in the Indianapolis area, avoid Coverstar Central and Classic Pool & Patio (same owner). I'm sorry the pool business has slowed down in 2009, but they shouldn't take it out on existing customers to make up the lost revenue.
tawnlun

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby tawnlun » Fri 26 Jun, 2009 13:25

I live in Indianapolis too and just set an appt for Coverstar to come out because my cover won't open or close. Does anyone else know who could work on this? It doesn't sound like I want to use Coverstar! Thanks
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby juno1996 » Fri 26 Jun, 2009 22:11

Sorry, I don't know who else to call. But I should start researching it because

1) I'll never call Coverstar again and
2) I'm sure my Cover will require repair in the not-too-distant future.

If you still use them, expect a 2-person crew to show up - that's $70/hour per "technician" (think Monkey + Wrench). There's a $22 travel charge and $60 visit charge. There's $1.54 tax on the travel charge. With a one-hour minimum charge, you'll be looking that $223.54...that's assuming they can perform the work in 1 hour and will not require any parts.

In my opinion, if you've already provided them your credit card and they arrive at your home, you're screwed.

When I spoke with the owner, he said these guys have "specialized training" and he has to pay them high wages because he can't offer them work in the winter. By the appearance of the crews that I've seen though, I'd say they spend their winters down south with a traveling carnival. :thumbup:

Please let us know how it turns out for you.
sln

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby sln » Sun 28 Jun, 2009 11:19

I have had the same problem. After two years the rope has broken. I refuse to call the local coverstar
dealer. He is the brother of the owner of pool city and both are worthless.The quality of work is pathetic.
When my cover was first installed it would not open, called and complained to pool city. Waited days and
fixed it myself. A week later coverstar fools show up tested the cover and said there was no problem. I advised them I fixed myself a week ago, idiot just looked at me and left.
I have found someone else who works on them. I will check with him and see if it okay to give his number out.
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby juno1996 » Sun 28 Jun, 2009 15:34

Wow - that would be very thoughtful and much appreciated.

Commenting based on my own experience and view, it seems that pool companies in particular think they can provide the minimum customer service, lowest value and then charge basically anything they want. Since I've had a pool installed (and especially when we were going through the construction ordeal), it's all been about missed appointments, flat-out lies and rip-offs when dealing with the folks in the local pool industry. Maybe pool servicers just think pool owners are made of money and don't care?

Consumers need to speak up. I'm glad to see that when you now Google "coverstar pool covers", this page is the 5th link that shows up!

So, yes, if you could send me the name of an honest servicer, it'd be much appreciated. :D
ScaredOfPools

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby ScaredOfPools » Thu 02 Jul, 2009 23:32

I live in MD and my wife wants a pool but I don't. I've heard horror stories from others about pool installation as many people who work in this industry are over priced morons after our money. Given this, it doesn’t surprise me that there are horror stories about Coverstar pool covers.

If we get a pool, then I want a pool cover rather than a fence. However, I know these things are maintenance nightmares. What I’m trying to figure out is if Coverstar is really any worse than other pool covers. They advertise about how special their ropes are so it doesn’t surprise me that they cost a bunch to replace. It also doesn’t surprise me that there are a bunch of monkeys out there that do it wrong the first time then charge an arm and a leg to fix it.

If you guys had to do it again, would you get a different pool cover, a different contractor or no pool cover at all? :?:

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”