Jandy Swimming pool problem

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Sophiagirl
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Jandy salted swimming pool (size: 16ft x35ft ) with a spa (7.6ft x6 ft)
Inground pool ; Shape: Oval,
Filter is DE filter

Postby Sophiagirl » Thu 11 Jun, 2009 05:15

It is nice to find this place ,I will learn a lot from this forum.

I 'm in Los Angeles. I just bough a house with swimming pool. It made us headache . My husband and I have never use the swimming pool before. And the house is "bank owned" house . No swimming pool , and no remote. We don't know how to operate it. So we hired a pool man. The pool man told us to change the filter , he said our swimming pool is salt swimming pool , so the filter is different. So we paid $500 to change the filter.

I scared of receiving a pool man 's call. When he calls me , that means our swimming pool have more problems. After we bought the filter , we have to spend $150 for the Cholorine and $300 for cleaning the water because he said the water is green. Today , I got a call from him , he said the Motor broken , we have to spend another $500 to change it , and he also recommend us to change the whole system. We can not afford . I don't know how to do it.

I have some questions:

1. our swimming pool is salt swimming pool , can he put a lot of Cholorine ? He put in a lot of Cholorine and make the machine in SERVICE and run more than 24 hours. The water smells bad. I have a baby , do you think the water can be harmful to my baby 's skin?

2. Should we change a motor or change the whole system like the pool man said?

3. do you know where i can get the pool instruction ? the brand is JANDY . Swimming pool with a small spa.

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Thu 11 Jun, 2009 06:25

Sophiagirl wrote:It is nice to find this place ,I will learn a lot from this forum.

I 'm in Los Angeles. I just bough a house with swimming pool. It made us headache . My husband and I have never use the swimming pool before. And the house is "bank owned" house . No swimming pool , and no remote. We don't know how to operate it. So we hired a pool man. The pool man told us to change the filter , he said our swimming pool is salt swimming pool , so the filter is different. So we paid $500 to change the filter.

I scared of receiving a pool man 's call. When he calls me , that means our swimming pool have more problems. After we bought the filter , we have to spend $150 for the Cholorine and $300 for cleaning the water because he said the water is green. Today , I got a call from him , he said the Motor broken , we have to spend another $500 to change it , and he also recommend us to change the whole system. We can not afford . I don't know how to do it.

I have some questions:

1. our swimming pool is salt swimming pool , can he put a lot of Cholorine ? He put in a lot of Cholorine and make the machine in SERVICE and run more than 24 hours. The water smells bad. I have a baby , do you think the water can be harmful to my baby 's skin?

2. Should we change a motor or change the whole system like the pool man said?

3. do you know where i can get the pool instruction ? the brand is JANDY . Swimming pool with a small spa.

Hi,

A salt water pool means there is a chlorine generator hooked up to the system. It uses the salt to produce chlorine. I have never heard of a certain type of filter (I'm talking main pool filter here) being needed for this type of pool.

I don't know what your pool looks like (condition wise), how it is operating or what it needs. I will say that if you just added a new filter and he wants to put a whole new system in....?? He may mean putting in a whole new pump as opposed to replacing/repairing the motor.

It's clear you're not confident with what your pool man is recommending. If that's the case, get a second opinion from another service.

If you are able to take pictures and upload them for us to see of your pool and equipment we might be able to give you better advice.

The water shouldn't smell. I wouldn't get in it myself so for a baby, a big no. Not until you're sure the water is swimmable.

Hope this is helpful and lots of us here to help if we can.
Sophiagirl
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Jandy salted swimming pool (size: 16ft x35ft ) with a spa (7.6ft x6 ft)
Filter is DE filter

Postby Sophiagirl » Tue 28 Jul, 2009 11:35

Thanks for your quick response . I have been out of town for 40 days . I just came back last week. I really appreciate your help . I have the pictures here , but i have more questions:
1. During the days that I was not at home, my husband said the pool man changed the PUMPER .The original pumper is JANDY ,two horse power ; The new one is Whisperflo , 1 horse power . The pool man said this one is efficently, save energy. Is that right ?
2. My husband said the pool man just put four bags of salt into the water , and wash the pool by brush . But my husband said the water is clearer than before , but the green moss often comes out. Do we need to add more salt or chlorine frequntly? We won't see that kind of green moss, it is too urgly.
3. The machine runs from 7:30 am - 3:30 pm , none stop , everyday. is that ok ?
I heard somebody told me , the machine should run every three hours. but pool man told us the machine need to run at least 8 hours per day in summer .
4. We lost the controller ( remover) , where we can copy one because the pool man said if we don't have remover ,he can not adjust the service time or other things.

the attachment are some picture of our pool and Juccuzi, waiting for your answer,thans!
Sophiagirl
I'm new here
I'm new here
Filter is DE filter

Postby Sophiagirl » Tue 28 Jul, 2009 12:48

sorry , i could not upload the pictures because they are too big , and i don't have the software to resize them . here is some information of my pool : it is JANDY
MODE:6613 6614

I will borrow a soft ware later on .
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Tue 28 Jul, 2009 14:16

Sophiagirl wrote:Thanks for your quick response . I have been out of town for 40 days . I just came back last week. I really appreciate your help . I have the pictures here , but i have more questions:
1. During the days that I was not at home, my husband said the pool man changed the PUMPER .The original pumper is JANDY ,two horse power ; The new one is Whisperflo , 1 horse power . The pool man said this one is efficently, save energy. Is that right ?
Yes, the Whisperflo is efficient and powerful. I have one and like the design.

2. My husband said the pool man just put four bags of salt into the water , and wash the pool by brush . But my husband said the water is clearer than before , but the green moss often comes out. Do we need to add more salt or chlorine frequntly? We won't see that kind of green moss, it is too urgly.
If your pool is getting algae talk to your pool man. Chlorine kills algae so it's up to your pool man to figure out how much chlorine is needed and when it needs to be added during the week. It may mean you'll need to add some during the week but it is your pool man's job to let you know what needs to be done.

3. The machine runs from 7:30 am - 3:30 pm , none stop , everyday. is that ok ?
I heard somebody told me , the machine should run every three hours. but pool man told us the machine need to run at least 8 hours per day in summer .
Doesn't need to run every 3 hours. 8 hours is good although with an algae problem running the system longer may help.

4. We lost the controller ( remover) , where we can copy one because the pool man said if we don't have remover ,he can not adjust the service time or other things.
Not sure what you mean by this, sorry. Your pool man should be able to get you a replacement for whatever it is. At the very least you can point you to a pool store where you can get a replacement.

the attachment are some picture of our pool and Juccuzi, waiting for your answer,thans!
Sophiagirl
I'm new here
I'm new here
Filter is DE filter

Postby Sophiagirl » Tue 28 Jul, 2009 16:49

:D thank you so much !

I will the pool man now because I can see the algea now. I heard some "shock treatment " , should i buy some in my house just in case ? We just put the powder directly to the pool ? I am sorry I know nothing about the swimming pool .

I think the pool man mean the "timer" instead of " remover" , because he said he need the one to adjust the running time. The pool man is a Korean , and I 've just been here for 4 years, we all don't speak English well. If he means timer, can i buy a timer from the local pool stores?

thanks!
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Wed 29 Jul, 2009 00:05

Sophiagirl wrote::D thank you so much !

I will the pool man now because I can see the algea now. I heard some "shock treatment " , should i buy some in my house just in case ? We just put the powder directly to the pool ? I am sorry I know nothing about the swimming pool .

I think the pool man mean the "timer" instead of " remover" , because he said he need the one to adjust the running time. The pool man is a Korean , and I 've just been here for 4 years, we all don't speak English well. If he means timer, can i buy a timer from the local pool stores?

thanks!

A shock treatment generally means raising the chlorine level in the pool to what is considered "shock" level. That level is different for each pool depending on the CYA (stabilizer) level in your water.

This is something your pool man should know about and take care of. As I said, even if he has you adding chlorine between his visits, he is the one that needs to instruct you on what to do. I would talk to him and explain that you are getting algae between his visits and you want to know what to do.

Algae grows when free chlorine levels get too low. Shocking the pool between the pool man's visits may be needed. Talk to him and have him come up with a plan to keep the algae away.

You can get a timer from a pool store. It does require working with electricity. It is a job pool men do all the time.
Sophiagirl
I'm new here
I'm new here
Filter is DE filter

Postby Sophiagirl » Wed 29 Jul, 2009 11:24

I talked with the pool man last night because I saw the water was green and I could see the mesquitoes, it is disgusting . The pool man said he would take a look today. He said he only can put 5 bags of the salt every week because the salt is a kind of expensive . I 've never bought it before, but i know that is an excuse . He added the salt last Tuesday or Wednesday , I think he need to add some at the weekend too. So can i buy some more and put in the pool between his visit ? Can I just put into the pool? I saw him put some white powder into a basket next to the pump. Should do the same as his or just put the salt into the water ?

Thanks !
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Wed 29 Jul, 2009 16:42

the first thing you need to do is take a sample of your pool water in a clean jar to a pool store and have them test it & tell you where your pool chemical levels are at. Once you know this you are going to be able to fix this problem.
When a pool is green the only chemicals your going to worry about is the CYA/condition level and chlorine level to get started. The conditioner level should be 50-60ppm to protect the chlorine from the sun so it stay in the water. If you do not have any conditioner or very little below 50-60ppm the chlorine will not last in the pool very long and if you have to much conditioner 100 or above it will make the chlorine weaker and will need to add to much to fight the algae.
Once you have this correct you need to get the chlorine up to shock level which is 20ppm or more. So your poolman if good will come by more than once a week (like everyday) checking the chlorine level adding more chlorine to keep it at shock level and brush the pool dailey until the pool is clear. The poolman should also know that the pool should be running 24/7 until water becomes clear and clean the filter or backwash it when pressure rises. With the pool being as green as it sounds the filter cleaning/backwash could be needed a few times depending on the size and type of filter.
Once water is clear then you can worry about balancing the rest of the chemical levels.

as for the filter you say you replaced, did the poolman replace the filter itself or replace the stuff inside of it?
you probably have a DE filter or a cartridge filter, do you know which one you have? A good idea when first starting out is to have your poolman write down on paper the size & brand of all your equipment so you have this information.
If you have a DE filter and he only replaced the 8-grids inside the filter the $500 you payed is a little on the high side unless he replaced more than just that. If you have a cartridge filter depending on the size and how many cartridges you have would effect the price. So if you have 4 big cartridges they could cost $100 each and $500 would sound far with labor $100.
When it comes to your motor for your pool pump, is it really bad? Does it work or not? If it does work fine and you have little money then replacing to save money on your electricity bill should be done when you can.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Wed 29 Jul, 2009 16:57

when you go to the pool store buy yourself a good test kit so you can start testing your water too. The instructions are inside of the box on the lid and its not hard to do. Also sense you have a salt pool buy a salt test kit so you can check the level yourself, you can buy pool salt at many different places and it is not that expensive when only adding whats needed when it gets a little low. When buying these things any good pool store will be more than happy to show you how to do your testing and explain everything or anything you want to know. Your poolman should also be able to show you how and what to do to test your chemicals.

remember your salt cell can not make enough chlorine to get your pool to shock level so liquide chlorine will be needed to get and keep your pool at shock level.
Once your poolman gives you your equipment info you should check on the internet about your salt cell and where the chemical levels should be at. Most salt water pools need their salt level at 27000 to 32000ppm.
If to low or high the cell's will shutoff. So it is important to do this and you can print out a manual for the salt cells if you do not have it. Cleaning these cells are another thing you will need to have done or do and will find out more by reading the manual.
Like said above sometimes getting a second opinion from other people is a good thing so your not paying for things not really needed.
$150 for chlorine and $300 to cleanup your green pool, your poolman should be comming to your house everyday until pool is clear.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Wed 29 Jul, 2009 17:32

question about your timer, is it not working or is the remote controll for it missing? Have you checked inside your house for another control box against a wall? Alot of homes have both so you need to look and check for this so you can adjust the time your pool needs to be running.
It all depends on the type of equipment you have and if you can manually set the timer at the box by your equipment.

most green pools should not take more than 7 days to become clear depending on type and size of equipment.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”