Which tool I need to change cable of underwater light (Certikin PU9) please?

Stairs, skimmers, jets, drains, lighting, water features
and miscellaneous pool water fixtures and fittings.
Eddles
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: 66000 litre indoor swimming pool with UV and sand filtration, and 1200 litre hot tub.

Which tool I need to change cable of underwater light (Certikin PU9) please?

Postby Eddles » Sat 29 Jan, 2022 14:19

Hi all,

Our 20-year-old underground concrete pool has a pair of Certikin PU9 underwater lights. To cut a very long story short, the "guts" of the light at the deep end were destroyed, and needed replacing, so I got a replacement "guts" pack. I disconnected the wiring at the junction box, and tied on the supplied string, to pull it through the conduit.

As the pool was full, I got into the pool, to try and pull out the cable through the niche (the part that's embedded into the pool wall), but found it wouldn't budge. Grappling around, I felt that the cable was clamped in place by a gland, held in by a plastic hexagon nut on the back of the niche. The below picture shows a PU6 - a similar light - the red circle shows the approximate placement of the gland. Note that the PU6 has the glad on the side edge (which would have been easier!), the PU9 has it right at the back - this image shows it better. I tried using a spanner to undo it, but due to the size of the spanner being bigger than the niche, I couldn't get a good purchase on the nut. It seems that I need an angled spanner or something like that.

What is a suitable tool I need to purchase to be able to undo this plastic nut, please, especially that I'm doing the work while the pool's full of water? Many thanks in advance!

Pool-Light-Pu6-Quick-Change-Light-Replacement.jpg
Pool-Light-Pu6-Quick-Change-Light-Replacement.jpg (35.98 KiB) Viewed 617 times

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Which tool I need to change cable of underwater light (Certikin PU9) please?

Postby Teapot1 » Sun 30 Jan, 2022 03:31

The spanner you should look at is known as a crows foot, this fits on a socket set wrench.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-Drive-Me ... 635-2958-0

Also a basin wrench maybe helful but a couple of ideas there to try.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Which tool I need to change cable of underwater light (Certikin PU9) please?

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 30 Jan, 2022 03:42

The only alternative that I can see is to cut the old wire and slide a box spanner over it
Leave a long length of wireto be able to pull
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Sun 30 Jan, 2022 16:07

Yes there is usually still enough spare to chop off a bit.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Skimmers, Jets, Lighting & Other Pool Fixtures”