Running 2 basin pool without skimmers as fill-level pool

Stairs, skimmers, jets, drains, lighting, water features
and miscellaneous pool water fixtures and fittings.
stevomcd
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Outdoor, in-ground pool. Approx 8m x 3m, 2.5m deep at deepest point.

Running 2 basin pool without skimmers as fill-level pool

Postby stevomcd » Sat 28 May, 2022 17:32

The skimmers in my pool are non-functional. The skimmers are cracked and the previous owner has blocked off the skimmer inlets. The pipework also appears to be blocked.

I am in the process of excavating the old skimmers to see if the pipework can be saved. If not, I have a possible option to run new skimmer plumbing. Excavating the old skimmer pipework isn't really an option for the moment. Either way, big, potentially expensive job to properly sort out the skimmers.

My pool effectively has two basins. There is the main, large swimming basin and a small basin at one end where the pool cover lives. Both basins have bottom drains. The two basins are separated by a wall which is just below skimmer / surface height.

We can run the pool with good chemistry just using the bottom drains for circulation / filtration without too many problems. However, with no skimmers on an outdoor pool, the surface looks pretty poor and we have to do a lot of manual skimming with a net.

It has occurred to me that it might be possible, at least as a temporary level to run the pool as a fill-level pool. If I drop the water level down to the top of the separating wall, then close the drain in the main basin and drop the level in the cover basin to about halfway, I could effectively use the cover basin as a fill-level pool drain / giant skimmer. The return jets drive the surface water towards the cover basin - the existing skimmers are hidden at the back of the basin.

I appreciate that regular manual intervention to keep the water levels balanced would probably be required and it would make extending the cover a pain (as it would drag on the top of the wall) but otherwise I think it could work. I have separate valves for the 2 main drains, the return jets and a separate "fountain" return, so I should have enough control to find a sweet spot which avoids the pump running dry as long as we're around to keep an eye on things.

Is this a completely stupid idea? Any obvious problems with running it this way?

Return to “Skimmers, Jets, Lighting & Other Pool Fixtures”