Pool light loose in niche

Stairs, skimmers, jets, drains, lighting, water features
and miscellaneous pool water fixtures and fittings.
rhthompson
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: inground gunite 30 feet long 20+ years old

Postby rhthompson » Tue 06 Oct, 2009 21:13

20+ year old gunite pool with approx 11 inch niche for light. Contractor replaced light, charging $400+, but said it was hard to find right size light. The new light they installed does not quite fill niche, plus the light is designed to be fastened with two screws but contractor said niche only accepted one screw. So there is a slight gap between light and niche, particularly on the side missing the screw (you might be able to see in the small picture shown with my name). Very hard/impossible to clean gunk and algae from the gap, but contractor says all lights allow water to get behind them. Also, due to only one screw, the light is loose and can be wiggled back and forth a little, but contractor says not a safety issue. Contractor did not save the old burned out light, which i think must have fit better. I am new at pool ownership so would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions. thanks

Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Postby Pool Clown » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 03:11

Knee jerk reaction would be to call that guy and tell him to get his arse back out there and put the correct light fixture in there. Or at least a light ring. That is ridiculous. Its aggravating when pool repair places rip people off, or you pay alot of money for the wrong parts, and you're supposed to "live with it"

eNd raNt
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Postby Pool Clown » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 03:22

pushed wrong button...
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

Postby Guest » Fri 16 Oct, 2009 11:36

thanks pool clown. yes i've asked them to take another look at it
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Fri 16 Oct, 2009 15:26

Cancel the check right now or talk to the bank about a fraud. You paid 300 too much anyway.
If you used card, dispute the charge also.
Next time do not pay until you like the service. That means to anyone. You will weed out the junk tradesman in a hurry.

Return to “Skimmers, Jets, Lighting & Other Pool Fixtures”