Forum Upgrade

News and announcements
from the Pool Help Forums.

Should these Pool Help Forums be open to registered members only? (Free)

Definitely
22%
Registration should be required to post messages
56%
It doesn't matter either way
No votes
I would prefer not to have compulsory registration
No votes
Registration should be optional and should not limit the visitor
22%

Total votes: 9
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Forum Upgrade

Postby Larry » Mon 10 Nov, 2008 03:41

I am in the process of updating the Pool Help Forums. There are to be various functional, design and security changes implemented.

For me one of the most important aspects of any successful open discussion group is freedom to read and participate without having to register. Despite my strong anti-spam feelings (I would never use any email addresses for unwanted mailings) I do not want to enforce compulsory registration. As a result these forums have had their share of spam postings over the years but have remained spam-free on the whole. I will be keeping this open format.

Changes I have begun work on:
  • Allow links to pictures and allow the posting of pictures within forum comments/ threads;
  • Allow avatars;
  • Enable a group of active and qualified moderators;
  • Have an area for registered members

I would appreciate any suggestions or feedback regarding what changes you would like to see here.

Thanks
Larry

Rolly

Registration

Postby Rolly » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 03:43

I visit these forums often and tend to read a lot rather than post. I am delighted that I can read and post anonymously here and this is one of the things that keeps me coming back again and again.
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 22:42

Larry it is nice to see you are around. I have sent you some private messages about becoming a moderator and about the spam. I agree with you that you should not HAVE to register to post but the spam is driving me crazy. I have been a very active member but have been turned off lately because of the spam. That is my biggest concern. Overall this site is great
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience
poolace

Lounge or chat area

Postby poolace » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 03:28

On some forums there is a place for off topic discussions and chat, kinda like an informal place to get to know some of the board regulars and talk about just anything.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Upgrade almost done

Postby Larry » Wed 18 Feb, 2009 07:18

Within a few days the new-look forums will be live. I am still testing their functionality on a test server and things are looking very good.

Mostly there are some functional upgrades allowing members to post and read more easily. A host of anti-spam measures will hopefully keep the guest spam posts to a minimum.

Avatars, links and pictures in posts are all being introduced, as are personal pool profiles so we can let others know about our pools.

The new sections, picture galleries and coffee lounge, will be rolled out once the existing categories and forums are working as expected.

Larry

Return to “News & Announcements from the Pool Forum”