Is my pump (for pond) worth saving?

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
miamicuse
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: I am still finding out about my pool.

Is my pump (for pond) worth saving?

Postby miamicuse » Fri 31 May, 2019 23:12

I recently purchased a property which has a pool and a pond. I am trying to get the pool working and at the same time I am resurrecting the pond as well.

This is the current sad state of the pond pump.

It appears to be a Sta-Rite Dyna-Glas or Dyna-Max Series pump. Need at least new lid and new strainer basket. The motor does start up.

The last owner bought the property eight years ago and he said the pump was like that eight years ago and he never fixed it. So it just sat there. No idea how old the pump is, but it's supposed to draw water from the pond and comes back down on a cascading waterfall.

Anyway to tell the age of the pump?

Should I replace it or is it worth getting a new lid and strainer basket?

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Is my pump (for pond) worth saving?

Postby Teapot » Sat 01 Jun, 2019 00:08

You may get a shock with the price of a new lid unless you can find 2nd hand. It's old and hasn't run in a long time so may only last a short time. Based on that I would buy another pump
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 01 Jun, 2019 02:26

On top of what Teapot says a 1HP pump for a pond is pretty big and would be expensive to run
It may be worth talking to a pond firm and seeing what they recommend
What is the state and size of the pond, seeing as it hasn't had a pump for filtration in excess of 8 years
miamicuse
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: I am still finding out about my pool.

Postby miamicuse » Thu 18 Jul, 2019 19:45

Ok an update. I spoke to a pond company, and they said I probably need a new pump, BUT if I get a new pump, I should get a BOG filter, and a UV light, and rework the plumbing to include a retrofit bottom drain, and also try to resurrect the waterfall feature etc etc etc, and they said my best bet is to salvage this pump, get it up and running, just to see what works and what doesn't work plumbing wise, then I can go back to design something that is specific for my pond.

So I disconnected the pump and took it to a pump service place. They told me the motor is still good, but they do not have a lid and basket, but a pool company would. Then I went to a pool company and end up getting the needed parts and now I am ready to hook it back up to see what it does. The only thing I need some advice on are:

(1) The pump was previously half buried in soil. I have to dig it out. I found out the motor was sitting on a plastic stand. Now that I have the pump cleaned up and all the parts ready, I can't figure out how the stand works. If I rest the motor on the stand, it's not level. Is it supposed to sit a different way? Are there supposed to be two stands one for the tank and one for the motor? Or is this tha wrong stand?

The stand has a number on it "C4-42P" if it means anything. The pump is a Sta-Rite Dyna-Glas or Dyna-Max Series pump.

In addition, seems someone cut two square holes on the stand. Weird, any idea what purpose that may serve?

(2) When I disconnected the wiring I forgot to tag how the original wiring was done. It's a 120V circuit on a 20A breaker. The flex conduit has a black (hot), a white (neutral) and a green (ground) conductors coming in. Can someone help me figure out which conductor goes where?

The ground conductor goes to the green screw up top, obviously. The hot and neutral goes to where I labeled "A" or "B" but I don't remember which.

HELP!

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”