General Questions to Help Get Started

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
Kool Pool Fool
I'm new here
I'm new here

General Questions to Help Get Started

Postby Kool Pool Fool » Thu 10 Jun, 2021 12:26

We're closing on a house in the Hudson Valley (NY) soon and would like to put a pool in the back yard. Never done this before so wanted to come here and ask a bunch of questions. :D

Our first decision re above ground vs inground is being influenced primarily by budget. We'd certainly prefer an inground pool but from what little research I've done so far, it seems like a far more costly venture, as well as one that might be more difficult to get permits for, etc. I don't want to have just a big oval sitting in the back yard, so the semi-inground option seems like a good one. The house has a deck on the back and it would be super nice to have the deck extended and surround part of the pool, with the other half being covered by landscaping built up around it. Basically we'd like to create the illusion of an inground pool. I know we're not alone in wanting to do that...

If anyone has any advice for a first time pool owner, I'd welcome it. Perhaps there are some other Hudson Valley residents here who could steer me towards a good installer? Someone who could do what I've described above without killing us financially would be ideal.

I also wanted to ask about chlorine alternatives. I remember visiting a neighbor's pool when I was a kid (back in the 1980s) and the pool had no chlorine smell at all. Your eyes didn't sting if you opened them underwater... They used a product called Baquacil... Is this still in use today? I see lots of folks going the saltwater route these days too. I've read that you need a resin pool for that, though I have read on these boards that that is not necessarily the case.

I'll have many more questions about filtration, maintenance to come, but if anyone could offer a little guidance to get me going, that would be greatly appreciated!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: General Questions to Help Get Started

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 10 Jun, 2021 16:21

The chlorine smell and burning eyes is because the pool has chloramines which has to be removed by a Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) with relation to Chlorine / CYA Chart and Recommended Pool Levels

Baquacil is still about but not widely used
Kool Pool Fool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Kool Pool Fool » Thu 10 Jun, 2021 16:50

Interesting, and thank you. So a properly maintained chlorine pool should NOT have that chlorine smell? That is the main issue I have with chlorine - that nasty smell. Plus I imagine your swimwear might bleach over time as well.

So as I understand it, a saltwater pool actually produces its own chlorine as the salt you add is converted to chlorine. I need to keep reading up on the saltwater system.
Kool Pool Fool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Kool Pool Fool » Thu 10 Jun, 2021 17:05

And just to follow up... I am not at all familiar with mineral systems but it seems like it could be the best option of all according to the little that I've read about it. What are people's thoughts here with regard to mineral systems vs. salt systems?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 11 Jun, 2021 03:02

To be honest I don't beleive that many people use other forms of sanitation other than chlorine
Salt water chlorine generators (SWCG) are widely used. They produce chlorine gas from the salt in the water which has to be a specific amount. If you go for that get one that us twice the size for it's rated output for your pool as it's based on 24/7 usage and will wear out quicker and you will run the pump continously
Kool Pool Fool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Kool Pool Fool » Fri 11 Jun, 2021 08:27

Thanks again, Dennis. I will keep reading but will keep in mind your tip on the size of the SWCG. If anyone else has any input or advice re the mineral system, I'm all ears/eyes. I suppose I could just give it a shot once the pool is running and see how I like it. Switching between full chlorine and mineral seems pretty simple and straightforward.

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”