Purple staining/Manganese

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
vstang

Postby vstang » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 17:19

Anyone have a problem with purple stains on liners of inground pools? Looking for solution to removing as well as prevention. Tried the chemical process then scrubbing as much as I could then cleaning filters. Any ideas? It has been suggested this is manganese.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Purple staining/Manganese

Postby Backglass » Sat 04 Aug, 2007 08:47

vstang wrote:Anyone have a problem with purple stains on liners of inground pools? Looking for solution to removing as well as prevention. Tried the chemical process then scrubbing as much as I could then cleaning filters. Any ideas? It has been suggested this is manganese.

Have you had your water tested for metals to be sure? Do you fill with well water?
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
vstang

purple stains/manganese

Postby vstang » Sun 05 Aug, 2007 10:23

Yes, we get the water tested at least once a week at the pool company we use. Our chlorine, alkalinity and ph levels are right on. Never no metals. However, they do not test for manganese. Our water supply is a community well, not private well. There are 11 other inground pools in our subdivision and I haven't heard of anyone else with this problem. Could this possibly be something other than manganese?
Dax67
I'm new here
I'm new here

maybe too late

Postby Dax67 » Fri 22 Feb, 2008 11:33

I had a purple ring develop around the perimeter of my pool last year. It seemed that the copper content of my pool was very high. I also had never completely drained my pool since it was built (5 years) -- something I was told should be done every few years or so to flush mineral/chemical buildups.

My solution, I completely drained the pool and sprayed muriatic acid on the purple stains. The stains dissolved instantly and I haven't had a problem since.

Also, what was so perplexing about the stains, was that my water sample indicated that all was correct since they don't normally check for copper.
sally

Postby sally » Mon 10 May, 2010 10:09

i have had this problem for a couple of years. first, if it is manganese, that comes from the ground, and you
might have a leak. but i have stumbled on to something having to do with calcium in the chlorine as an inert
ingredient. i am researching that now. check out both ways, and good luck.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 10 May, 2010 10:23

sally wrote:but i have stumbled on to something having to do with calcium in the chlorine as an inert
ingredient. i am researching that now.

Cal-Hypo is calcium hypochlorite and increased calcium in the pool. The following are rules of fact that are independent of concentration of product or of pool size:

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For ever 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm.

Purple staining can come from manganese metal ions or can come from high levels of copper ions and CYA as copper cyanurate.
christineblessie
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: pool size I want to say 20 to 25000 gallons, plaster, Haywood pump, large round cartridge filters.

Postby christineblessie » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 11:59

Hello, I have a purple ring around the perimeter of the pool. The water is crystal clear. I have used the Jacks purple stuff all this did was turn my filters purple. The ring is still there. I did clean off a calcium buildup on my tiles around the pool and let it run quite a long time. How do I reduce the calcium? will that help with removing the purple ring? Its over 100 degrees here and an acid wash is out of the question due to cracking my plaster. What can I do at this point?
SheriGoddart33
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In plan

Postby SheriGoddart33 » Tue 05 May, 2020 08:07

I have the same problem and this is due to the fact that the water contains a lot of metals

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”