Tingling sensation in salt water pool

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
JLR
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JLR » Sun 20 Apr, 2008 09:35

Hi. New to the forum. Had an in ground pool installed last year. Had a salt water chlorine generator installed (Intellichlor). Started noticing a 'tingling sensation' when I touch the surface of the water or in small puddles on 'Cool deck'. Not getting much satisfaction from installer at this point.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

JLR

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 20 Apr, 2008 12:39

The saltier water is more conductive to electricity so you may have stray voltages around your pool (these can come from electrical distribution systems) and your pool may not be properly bonded (there may not be a bonding grid in the cement around your pool, if that's what you've got). You can contact your electrical power company and have them check out ground voltages. If you live in the country, then this is more likely to be the problem.

Richard
JLR
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JLR » Sun 20 Apr, 2008 14:06

Thanks, Richard, for your reply. If, in fact, my problem is with stray voltage,what can be done to correct the issue? How much voltage would one find in the ground? How does one go about finding out if my installer bonded the pool properly? Is it a big ordeal to correct if it weren't installed properly? I live in a new subdivision, but it really isn't in the country. There is a ground transformer one lot away from mine. I have a Desjoyaux pool with concrete deck that is covered with 'Cool Deck'. I know that the pool panels have rebar that is tied to wire mesh in the deck. However, I do not know if the mesh is tied into any grounding wires. My pump and chlorine generator are located in a drywell area behind the skimmer box. The pump is grounded to a grounding strap on the side of the drywell.

Thank again,

JLR
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 20 Apr, 2008 14:15

Our local utility has this bulletin regarding stray voltages. Again, I suggest you contact your local power utility to help resolve the issue. It is always better to identify the source of the problem and mitigate it there even if the pool bonding wasn't sufficient. I'm sorry I can't help you more on this -- for this issue I only know what I've read.

Richard
JLR
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JLR » Fri 02 May, 2008 14:23

If I were to use a conventional chlorinating system instead of the salt system would that eliminate the 'tingling' sensation that is being felt?

JLR
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 02 May, 2008 14:30

f you go to conventional chlorination and do a 3/4 drain/refill of your pool to remove most of the salt, then you should find that the tingling sensation is reduced IF you feel this when you are in contact with the water. If instead you only feel it between a metal handrail and the ground, for example, then it won't do any good. If you lower the salt level in the pool, then the conductivity gets cut down proportionately and typical manually dosed pools have from 500-1000 ppm TDS so about 1/6th to 1/3rd the conductivity of a saltwater pool.

In the unlikely event that the problem is from the SWG cell itself, try disconnecting it (unplugging its power source) and see if that makes any difference. (If this is done for an extended period of time, you can manually chlorinate the pool in the interim.)

However, the above dilution of the water to lower the salt level will not eliminate the problem -- it will only make it less of an issue. You really do need to have a competent electrician figure out what it is -- perhaps having someone from the local utility check it out. They can use voltmeters to measure potential differences. Heck, give them a swimsuit and have them feel the shock themselves!
JLR
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JLR » Fri 02 May, 2008 14:34

My local utility company is not willing to allow any nulling device to be put on their distribution system. My pool installer is unwilling to bond the pool, just take out the salt system and install a conventional chlorine system. My pool has been closed for the winter and is due to be opened sometime next week. I probably have little to no salt content in the water.

The bottom line is....is it safe to swim it?

JLR
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 02 May, 2008 17:59

How come there is little or no salt in the water? Did your pool installer already replace the water? I'm confused. If you had an SWG running, then there was a lot of salt in the water -- usually 3000 ppm.

If the water has been replaced and is low in TDS (of which salt is often the largest component), then as I said there will be less conduction of electricity in the water itself. Whether that makes you safer or not depends on how you were getting shocked. Also, as for "safety", a small tingling sensation isn't the same as a strong shock so the amount of current may be very low. It isn't something I'd want around permanently, but unless the stray voltage has gotten worse, then using your pool now would not be any worse than before and would likely be better.

I wish I could help you more, but if no one is going to address the voltage source itself or to bond more thoroughly, then I don't know what to say except try the pool with lower levels of salt and see if it's tolerable (less tingling). I'd personally still be pretty upset at my pool builder.

Postby Guest » Sat 03 May, 2008 11:28

cg,
Thanks again for all of your insight!! I met with an electrician today and he has some ideas for being able to properly bond the pool. Have a meeting scheduled with my installer on Wed. evening.

An issue has arisen of corrosion to the pool light fixture. I have tried to find some articles about stray current corrosion, but have been unsuccessful so far. Do you have any information (links) to articles that may address this issue?

Again, thanks so much for your help !!

JLR
BJO

same problem

Postby BJO » Sat 03 May, 2008 20:43

JLR,

We had a fiberglass pool w/salt system and cool decking installed last summer and we've had the same problem. I've had the pool electrician out here multiple times but have not been able to eliminate the problem. The measured voltage is very low but still very uncomfortable to put up with especially for my two small children.

I'd certainly would like to know if you're able to resolve your issue and what you had to do, please post updates and I will do the same.

Thanks,

-BJO
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 03 May, 2008 21:40

There's long thread about SWG pools and potential corrosion issues here with the first post linking to a (very one-sided) blog that has other links on stray current corrosion, but don't be too scared by that.

The PG&E link I gave earlier is better about stray voltage in general. If the voltage isn't too high, then you could talk to your electrician and/or pool builder about adding a sacrificial zinc block attached to the bonding wire. That should have the zinc corrode in place of any metal attached to the bonding wire and may also reduce the potential for shock. If you have any aluminum attached to the bonding wire, then the block must be magnesium instead of zinc.

Richard
Ricki

Postby Ricki » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 19:11

WE are going thru the same thing with getting a tingling sensation in our pool. The voltage is none to low. The electrical power company can not do much more for us. They have monitered the pool. We believe the pool is bonded properly. If this is true they will have to dig up the pool deck and see if it is not bonded.
ANYBODY OUT THERE - have you had your pool grounds dug up to see if if was improperly grounded? That is our next step! Please reply
Nancy from Michigan

Postby Nancy from Michigan » Wed 11 Jul, 2012 12:03

I also have a problem with a fiberglass pool and salt chlorinator that is driving us crazy. I have another electirician coming today. I have heard something about sacrificial anodes and a bond in the skimmer. I will try almost anything. It is not enough of a jolt to trip the gfi but little kids feel it more. My 6 year old grandson howled and said his hands and feet hurt when he jumped in. Seems to be ok when everything is shut off.
Linda H

Postby Linda H » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 09:38

We are having same problem with 1 year old pool, contractor says pool is bonded and grounded with wires going to four grounding rods around the pool. We cannot find the rods, he is non-responsive to coming out and showing us where they are. Does anyone know if rods should be above ground and visible? Or, is this even the correct way to ground the pool? Electric Co. says no stray voltage. Pump/equipment are grounded correctly according to electrician. No lights in pool.

Final questions are, does anyone know how much voltage must be in the water to cause a tingling sensation? And, what level of voltage is considered dangerous? Thanks for any info you can provide. Linda
larry h

Postby larry h » Fri 31 May, 2013 14:32

We have had the same tingling issues as mentioned by others. Our pool was intalled 11 years ago. All wiring from the house to the pool has been replaced and the grounds were checked by an electrician. The pool contractor and an independent electrical contractor claim the pool was properly bonded but all acknowledged the elecrical code has changed since the time of install. The power company in St. Louis MO stated the stray voltage is common throughout North America. Our electrician was getting voltage readings between 0.8 and 1.0 volts from the pool water to the concrete deck. The elecrical contractor states the salt water in and of itself is a conductor of electricity. Upon researching this I learned that salt water does indeed electricty as the sodium ion and the cholorine ion carry opposite positive and negative charges and therfore are much more conductive of electricity than normal tap water. Our options at this point are to remove the salt water cholorinator and reinstall a cholorine sytem, about $250 or tear out the concrete decking and rebond using a equipotential grounding mat in the concrete, which is the preferred method, causing several thousands of dollars. We are opting to try removinging the salt water. Since the power company will not do any more to determine the source of the stray voltage, my hope is by removing the salt water, we not be conducting the electricy and no longer be shocked.

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”