Solar Heater Bypass and overheating pump

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
LisaMro
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21' above ground

Solar Heater Bypass and overheating pump

Postby LisaMro » Tue 25 May, 2021 06:44

Hello,

I'm a new pool owner, and we just hooked up Hayward solar panels (2) for our 21' above ground pool that is only a week old. We also installed a bypass kit. The pressure on the pump (Hayward 1.5 HP) went up 2 psi when we added the solar panels. I used the bypass for the first time yesterday because it was a bit colder outside. I didn't check on it for a few hours because it was raining. When I went out to check, the pump sounded a bit off, and I discovered that it was pretty hot, the skimmer didn't seem to have suction, and the psi went up by 4. I turned off the pump, backwashed, let some water out of the pool as it rained pretty heavily. It seems to function properly when the bypass isn't used, but using the bypass again had the same results.

We double checked, and everything is hooked up correctly. Any ideas?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Solar Heater Bypass and overheating pump

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 25 May, 2021 17:04

Where is the bypass installed?
Where are the panels installed?
Does the bypass divert all the water to the panels? If so then it isn't circulating
What is your pipe sizing?
LisaMro
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby LisaMro » Wed 26 May, 2021 07:29

Hello,

The bypass is installed between the panels and the pump according to the directions, as are the panels. The panels are smaller panels that sit on the ground with" kickstands" to hold them up. I'm positive everything is hooked up correctly. These came as kits.

Recommended settings on the bypass are #5 - halfway open to panels, rest to pool, and #1, closed to panels and all to pool. #5 works correctly. The#1 setting is the issue. This should divert all water to the pool with nothing going into the panels.

I originally thought the bypass was blocked, but it works when some of the water is going to the panels, but not when none is going to the panels, so it doesn't seem logical that the hose is restricted.

Is the pump HP not compatible?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 26 May, 2021 10:48

Something isn't quite right there with the divertor valve
Water going to the pool should be the line of least resistance and flow well
If it works through the panels then the pump is OK (there is more resistance through the panels)
LisaMro
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby LisaMro » Wed 26 May, 2021 14:26

Agreed. When the bypass is set to bypass the panels, that's when the issue starts. It doesn't make sense. I guess we'll have to take it apart to see if it's actually open on setting 1. Ugh.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 26 May, 2021 16:23

Can you supply some images of your setup and the divertor
Where you write a post
Click Full Editor & Preview
Click Attachments
Click Add Files or you can drag and drop

Did it work OK before adding the panels? or was it done all together
Could 1 be closed and if you go from 1-5 what are the others for
LisaMro
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby LisaMro » Thu 27 May, 2021 07:40

I'll upload photos. It was all installed at the same time, and the full bypass setting, #1, never worked. #5 setting, half open, to divert some water to panels and rest to pool. #1 is totally closed off to panels, all to pool. #2,3,4, according to the directions, are never to be used as they will damage the pump. Why they are even there as options, I have no idea.

I'll work on uploading some photos.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”