Installing New K-5 Heater - specs

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
DaveC426913
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 12ft round above ground hayward 1/4HP pump

Installing New K-5 Heater - specs

Postby DaveC426913 » Wed 02 Jun, 2021 12:51

I am in Canada!

I've had my 12ft above ground round for over 20 years and have finally decided to install a heater.

I bought a K-Star K-5 and am getting an electrician to run a 240V 30A line out to my backyard.

What I am concerned about is that the manual says the heater should be installed at least ten feet away from the pool. That's a long way!

My 12 ft pool is surrounded by a semi-raised deck and is in a yard that's only 20 feet fence-to-fence. To get the heater ten feet away, I'd have to put it in the middle of my garden.

Is this a hard-fast regulation? Will I get in trouble with the inspector if it's more like 6 feet away?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Installing New K-5 Heater - specs

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 03 Jun, 2021 05:55

You can install it inside if necessary all that is needed is extra length of pipework
DaveC426913
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby DaveC426913 » Thu 03 Jun, 2021 11:17

Denniswiseman wrote:You can install it inside if necessary all that is needed is extra length of pipework

Sorry, inside what? My house (or shed)? Sure, but that's not the point.

What I want to do is install is closer than 10 feet.
DaveC426913
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby DaveC426913 » Thu 03 Jun, 2021 11:42

1]
The K-5 manual says I'll need a diverter to limit the flow rate to 8 GPM. How do I determine what my current flow rate is, and - with a valve to control the rate - how do I know when I've hit 8 GPM?

Does a pressure gauge measure flow rate? (I don't think so).

2]
My pool pump is on a timer. There is no reason to run it at night, since the circulation would cool down the pool.

I can't have the heater on if the pump is not on, so now I need to put the heater on a timer. Is that allowed? It's 240v 21A.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 03 Jun, 2021 16:56

If the instructions say 10 feet it's up to you to decide what you want to do
You would need to fit a flow meter or just crack open a divertor valve so that it warms the water
A pressure gauge just measures pressure
I would assume that a flow switch is incorporated in the unit so if the pump runs dry or fails it would switch off. If not you would need to fit a flow switch and not a time switch
I don't know why you didn't fit a heat pump which is more efficient
DaveC426913
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby DaveC426913 » Thu 03 Jun, 2021 20:28

Thanks for your answers.
Denniswiseman wrote:If the instructions say 10 feet it's up to you to decide what you want to do
I don't know why you didn't fit a heat pump which is more efficient

Because
1] we only plan to be here another couple of years. The up front cost for a heat pump is prohibitive.
2] They're big and loud are they not? I have no room - there's barely three feet around all sides of my pool.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”